here goes!

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

so im gonna try this, two months ago I paid my debts back and after not gambling compulsivly for 2years ive been back in control of my money again, thinking I had it under control I had a little flutter and then u probably know the rest. I work away from home in the week so evenings can be long and boring after work. ive gambled away the money I need for food and petrol for the month,on a brighter note my bills are sort of paid.

so tuesday was the last bet I had admittedly only through spending it all. funny thing is I dont feel the urge once I have no money and I suppose a sense of relief. so told my mum about it who knew about previous times, but contemplating telling my partner this weekend, not sure how it will go but long term its for the best I know. am I am scared of losing her and kids ...yes, but if I dont then the slope im taking they would lose a partner, father permenently. spoken to a lady on tuesdsy who is arranging a counceller to chat with me face to face hoping this will give an incite into my feelings and behaviour. wish me the best , thanks

Posted : 21st August 2014 11:36 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

so just had a phone call and have an appointment to see a counceller next Friday , fingers crossed he can get to the bottom of things :-/

Posted : 21st August 2014 3:09 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi morg,

I had some counselling sessions and for me they opened the key to why I gambled, sometimes we never know the why and either way it's not important but the sessions are a safe place for you to really be honest with yourself and start to put the trash out so to speak.

Keep focused take it slow you know what you need to do having been gamble free for 2 years...

I suppose you have asked yourself the question ...

What did I Learn ? That lesson was presented to me for nearly 20 years.... I learnt eventually lol. I can't win because I can't stop.

Take care

Blondie

Posted : 21st August 2014 5:03 pm
time_to_stop
(@time_to_stop)

Hi Morg.

I'm back on Gamcare afetr a slip up myself. I went over 5 years gamble free after my last blow-out and like you got everything well back on track financially and (I thought) in terms of my mental wellbeing and compulsion to gamble.

A couple of nights ago I lost a couple of hundred quid after a couple of weeks of (stupid) small scale 'controlled' and *cough* 'responsible' gambling.

I have no urge to gamble any more, which is an improvement but I'm also doing a bit of soul searching to see if I can get back on top of what ever it is that drives this and may look into a session or two of counselling myself.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that you are not alone in having a 'blip' and that I have every confidence that you (and hopefully I) can go back to the happier non gambling lives we have had a good taste of.

All the best and keep on posting if it helps.

Ian

Posted : 22nd August 2014 3:19 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

ThInk you both for sharing your experiences with me , shows im not alone. Managed to scrape enough money together to get home this weekend as I work away from home. Then off to wales for the weekend with my family. Where I am gonna have to tell my partner about my problem. I can't believe I could go so long with out gambling. Then stupidly think that a little bet here and there for fun wouldn't hurt but how wrong was I. I suppose that's what happens when you dont think you have a problem.

Posted : 22nd August 2014 9:19 am
(@Anonymous)

well done for coming here and taking action!

just wanted to wish you luck for the weekend ahead and your counseling session.

you can be a winner again... by beating this addiction and getting your life back.

best wishes

laura x

Posted : 23rd August 2014 1:24 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Laura. Wish the Friday would hurry up , will feel a lot more real then. Weekend is fine so far , tho I haven't said anything yet mind you. :-/

X

Posted : 23rd August 2014 2:03 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi morg

Welcome aboard

Hope your weekend goes ok

2 years of abstaining is fantastic you will be a lot stronger now and even more determined

Best wishes

Suzanne x

Posted : 23rd August 2014 9:27 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Well weekend has nearly been and gone. Decided to tell my partner about my struggle. To my surprise she was really understanding to a degree not to say she wasn't up set but were still together 🙂 weight has been lifted off my shoulders now. Just need to not let her and my family down. Jeez she must love me. . . . Feeling loved x

Posted : 24th August 2014 4:42 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi morg

It's very hard to to tell our partners about our addiction

So very well done for being honest to her

Taking one day at a time you can make the right choice which is to abstain and maintain

Keep positive and stay strong

Best wishes

Suzanne x

Posted : 24th August 2014 5:18 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Suzanne.

So nearly a week now and not had a bet. Would like to say its impressive but its easy not to gamble when you dont have money, strange thing I dont think about it when I dont have any money. I thought my partner was ok but she seems up and down towards me . Any advice on how to help my partner deal with this too?

Posted : 26th August 2014 12:08 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Suzanne.

So nearly a week now and not had a bet. Would like to say its impressive but its easy not to gamble when you dont have money, strange thing I dont think about it when I dont have any money. I thought my partner was ok but she seems up and down towards me . Any advice on how to help my partner deal with this too?

Posted : 26th August 2014 12:54 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

So haven't been here for a few days. Well the councellhng session is tomorrow So bit nervous about that. But more scared about going home this weekend as its all out in the open with my partners family . Originally didn't want her to say to her family about my problems as I was to ashamed but that was selfish as didn't realise it affected her so much so was good that she could talk to someone too. Will try and make excuses to avoid seeing them for a while I think. Ive had 25quid in my pocket now for 4 days for my petrol home thanks to the gf. 10days ago it wouldn't still be there.

Posted : 28th August 2014 10:39 am
{

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close