fresh start

1,154 Posts
70 Users
2 Likes
84.2 K Views
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Your not wrong them fobt were my nightmare. I have gone on a couple of dating websites I need to move on from past relationships as well. Need things to look forward to not the consent battle with fobt which had me just about beat 

Posted : 28th June 2019 9:31 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Yeah it's amazing once we get our self-worth back what else we look to make good in our lives. I'm back in the gym after gambling, I looked a mess when I was in action. When I wandered into my first GA meeting they asked me if I was homeless.

Today the neighbour said I was looking fit and healthy when he drove past me and I was in the garden. Little things like that make me realise I'm on the right path now, the path of looking after myself and appreciating life. Like you are now too.

Go find yourself a Doris mate ??

Posted : 28th June 2019 9:34 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

I have found myself a Donna and a faith both have 4 kids each all to the same father like. Both really canny but 4 kids ???. Donna only 31 so she my favourite ha. Gambling wise all really good. How things with you signalman?

Posted : 29th June 2019 6:48 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Wow good for you mate! steady on mate! One at a time right! ???

I'm good thanks. Just been on a day out with some GA friends - nice to make some new friends and be around great company. However I went a bit into myself at times, probably lacking confidence and self-esteem since putting addiction behind me. It's weird just having to rely on myself and nothing more in situations (no booze etc)

Well anyway - I hope I can get my confidence back over time ?

I'm happy to hear you're doing so well.

Posted : 29th June 2019 7:03 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Well.... ???. No drink mate mate we all need a little drink now and then. But well done for keeping off everything. I deleted from being subscribed to your account because my emails were full of comments off your diary lol. But well done for everything you have achieved 

Posted : 29th June 2019 7:42 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Posted by: Boro

Well.... ???. No drink mate mate we all need a little drink now and then. But well done for keeping off everything. I deleted from being subscribed to your account because my emails were full of comments off your diary lol. But well done for everything you have achieved 

Well I do have a tendency to ramble on a bit - I would have done the same to be honest! ? I won't hold it against you ?

The thing with alcohol is that I cant seem to take it responsibly - what always starts as a relaxing tipple ends in a horror show. I have ruined weddings, woken up in bizarre places, committed numerous contraventions whilst under the influence - I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic but much like all my other previous addictions I was a binger with it, there was never a point where I'd had enough for the night.

I'd tend to live a little - then get lost in addiction for a while - then feel bad and live sensibly for a while as my penance, then the cycle would come round again.

The other problem is that when I drink i feel indestructible and therefore vulnerable to the gambling (I've fallen short after many periods of abstainence due to being caught in the moment of alcohol). It dawned on me after starting my recovery that for this to work I'd have to purge the need to be addicted to anything from my system - haven't had a drink since the new year. 

It's not easy purging attachment to addiction but with inspiration, support and guidance from others who understand I'm slowly winning the battle. And feel miles better for it.

Thanks for the appreciation of my hard work. It's good to have decent people in my corner and we can help each other along on our respective journeys ??✊

This post was modified 5 years ago 4 times by signalman

Posted : 29th June 2019 11:56 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Hey mate

I promise I'll leave you be to get on with your new and exciting life after this post!

Just wondering if all still going well?

?✌️

Treated your daughter to anything nice lately?

This post was modified 5 years ago by signalman

Posted : 7th July 2019 11:22 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Everything spot on mate. Daughter gets anything she wants but she still enjoys me giving her a few quid to go to the shops and get sweets.

Posted : 8th July 2019 4:45 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

?✊

Fantastic mate. Just keep going. Slowly but surely the desire and urge to gamble will just fade away, it will always be there so dont test yourself of course (no trips to Vegas anytime soon?) ? But just stay on this path and the addiction will recoil so much that eventually it will be weak and gambling will more just a memory than a reality.

So glad to hear things are going well for you.

Posted : 8th July 2019 5:09 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

No fobt play for quite a while now. But with betting shops shutting which was always going to happen because a lot were opened just so they could have another 4 fobt in a shop. What annoys me is when people says can these people who play on them not control themselves because it spoils it for others. These machine are dangerous and ya get muppets saying things  like that.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Boro
This post was modified 5 years ago by Forum admin

Posted : 9th July 2019 7:09 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

No play on the fobt not really thought about it to be honest. The total ban is definitely working at the minute 

Posted : 18th July 2019 8:05 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Still going strongly. Not much more to say 

Posted : 1st August 2019 7:52 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

That's all you need to say bro! ??

So chuffed for you man... Life getting better? Standing proud? 

How's the love life?

Posted : 1st August 2019 8:11 pm
bdog
 bdog
(@bdog)

well done Boro lad

Posted : 1st August 2019 8:32 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Life not  playing them machines is so much better and I have not had an urge to play them. I have a ban of pretty much every betting shop in a 15 mile radius because I know at £2 a spin it’s pretty much pointless playing them and taken risk in going in and being kicked out.       Love life wise I have a couple messaging me but I think we will alway be just friends but it is an ego boost that they want me.                                                          Cheers bdog appreciate it.

Posted : 1st August 2019 8:50 pm
Page 68 / 77

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close