After 146 days GF, I let myself down, twice…

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@sinceninetyeight)
Topic starter

Went 146 days, gamble free, no real desire or want to gamble. Simple block on my phone via my bank. 

Along can Boxing Day, told myself, “just today” one deposit, blah, blah, 26th-28th I lost £100, arguments started with partner. Why? Was it worth it? Bank block put back on…

Fast forward to today, after turning bank block off, tell my partner, just today, one deposit etc etc, about 6 deposits later, I’ve done another £90 and as I write this, she won’t have seen the deposits, so my Saturday night will be horrible. Why? Because of me. 

now, in the 146 days, I genuinely didn’t even go close to breaking the cycle, I got lured in by football and racing and the fact I was home for Boxing Day…

Now, I am going to have to own up and accept the rows tonight - bank block back on and just want to get back to that mindset I was in before Boxing Day. 

Thanks for Reading. 8th Jan, will be my “Day 1…” 

Posted : 7th January 2023 3:40 pm
(@scrumpy1972)

Congratulations on the first step at least you are trying to resolve. I wish id done that years ago rather than just going around and around. I know it maybe hard but i would recommend going further if you can. Maybe give you partner all of your money, get a solo debit card (hard to gamble with these), speak to the bank and get them to put a permeant block on........ there are loads more that you could do. 

It may seem really hard and you will tell yourselves that you dont need to do it, but believe me you will just go around and around in a circle if you dont ............ this is from a compulsive gambler for 30 years, whom has lost alot of money, a wife and daughter and countless friends. 

Its not easy but you can do it, i believe in you 

Posted : 7th January 2023 9:48 pm
Chris.UK
(@chris-uk)

Could you do something else to help yourself like GA as an example?

Having a good mindset is important but I think you need more and not to rely on how you feel to stay bet free or not.

I’m sure that will help you as it’s helped so many others.

Chris.

Posted : 7th January 2023 10:05 pm
(@suckedin)

Is money an issue within your household / relationship ? 

it sounds like it could be a part of the root cause here if i am honest 

Posted : 8th January 2023 12:26 pm
(@sinceninetyeight)
Topic starter

Posted by: @suckedin

Is money an issue within your household / relationship ? 

it sounds like it could be a part of the root cause here if i am honest 

It’s not “money” issues, we’ve both been promoted within our roles and both earn fair money, £30k a year so not rich but not struggling. The issue my partner has us “transactions on the bank account” as we have a joint account. 

We’ve savings, decent home and a holiday a year, I get very depressed so it’s my only real “escape” as I don’t have a social life and we have 3 children who we are responsible for. 

Tbh. I found the 146 fairly simple, I made the choice to gamble on the 26th and then I am here now, with it be less easy and my mind trying to use gambling as a form of excitement. 

Posted : 8th January 2023 2:07 pm
Chris.UK
(@chris-uk)

Tbh. I found the 146 fairly simple, I made the choice to gamble on the 26th and then I am here now, with it be less easy and my mind trying to use gambling as a form of excitement. 

I understand that you chose to place that bet on the 26th, but it reads like you didn’t choose the multiple deposits or the continued betting until today. You also mentioned having just done another £90, not the words of someone happy with their situation.

Hopefully you can revisit your initial post when you decide you want to just have that first bet as it never ends well for people like us. 
Good luck.

Chris.

Posted : 8th January 2023 7:04 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close