Abstain and maintain.Stepping forward never back.

4,924 Posts
252 Users
0 Likes
230.5 K Views
(@Anonymous)

Hi mate thanks for your continued support on your diary, sorry I don't say much back on yours, I don't have to say anything, you're as hard as a rock and you've got this gambling under wraps keep it up buddy but I always read your progress.

Your pal Andy

Posted : 19th March 2013 8:16 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hey Duncs,

Hope that tooth is doing better, just want to let you know I'am inspired by your success and hard work in your sobriety. Glad to know ya.

Chicagoguy

Posted : 19th March 2013 8:22 pm
duncan.mac
(@duncan-mac)
Topic starter

Evening diary.

Thanks for all the support and posts,the praise humblest me greatly, as i stated this year, my goal is to change that statistic. That only three out of every one hundred compulsive gamblers complete a years total abstinence. Lets make it four at worst!!! That would be me made up.

My mum said she caught up with my diary this week and was proud to read I had the resolve to beat the urge back into it's box, and lock the lid again.

She said it would have been a shame to waste those 14 months for a bet.

Me i thought it would have been a shame to waste today.

As today is the most important day, the day which matters, i cannot change that, not mine or yours they are history.

But today we all have a choice.

Mine is to stand together united in our quest.

To better our tomorrow and that of our fellow man and through that stay winning.

A streak that you can't put a price on.

Duncs stepping forward never back.

Posted : 20th March 2013 12:04 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Duncs,

Inspiring stuff my dear friend.

Keep up the good work and keep strong, one day at a time.

All the best

MW

Posted : 20th March 2013 12:36 am
duncan.mac
(@duncan-mac)
Topic starter

Evening diary.

Well sleep evades me tonight, i think i am enjoying the fruits of my labours. My Joe is 19 today and despite my best efforts to disrupt much of his life through my addiction he has turned out to be a truly top man.

Each day his maturity, humility and witt astounds me. He has a remarkable ability to see the best in everything and really does champion the underdog.

He wishes for no personal gain from his efforts and thinks of himself only after he has thought of others.

In life i know he Will suceed in whatever he sets his mind to, for that today i am very proud to be able to be called his dad and truly honoured to have him for a son.

I learn alot about life and how best i can approach it with each day i spend in recovery.

Today well it befits another day to celebrate.

"to a wonderful life"thanks re.

Duncs stepping forward never back

Posted : 20th March 2013 4:08 am
(@Anonymous)

Cheers Dunc! Do remember yr user name from a year or so ago snd well done on winning yr battle! Haven't had chance to go back to then but just picked up on ur Lad now being 19! I take inspiration from that fact and from that I admire you! Although my lad is only 9 and doesn't understand what I've done he now knows its bad to gamble! I remember from my childhood being forced to stand outside shops while my dad was betting! I would never put my son through that and believe hel now be in the same position as yr own soon in 10 years time! Somebody to be proud off! My dad still is an addictive gambler and I've been forced to distance myself from him to sort myself out! He has nothing to lose as he lives with his sister who bails him out! I have a home and family and so have to win my battle! Xmas 2013 is my first target a big loan is payed off then and we start to get a bit of breathing space in the family! Stay strong mate and keep posting!

Posted : 20th March 2013 4:35 am
(@Anonymous)

Afternoon my friend.

Hope you are well.

I've been reading some advice you have been offering to those in recovery-really well done mate, you do a great job on this forum.

The dirty burgers are on me!!!!

ps- 3 fried eggs???

Posted : 20th March 2013 3:42 pm
(@Anonymous)

Afternoon duncs just read a few pages of your diary over the past year,you are an inspiration my friend congratulations on changing your life round.

The bear

Posted : 20th March 2013 4:51 pm
(@Anonymous)

you are my target when it comes to getting though and updating this each day Dunc.

inspiration and I'll do my best to be as regular as it obviously helps.

thanks

Posted : 20th March 2013 8:43 pm
duncan.mac
(@duncan-mac)
Topic starter

Evening diary.

Well i love birthdays in our house as the person who's birthday it is gets to choose what's for supper. Joe went for butchers faggots from a farm shop in somerset, i braised them in onion gravy and filled the plate with mash and peas. Tremendous!!!!!! And as it is his 19th birthday it is only fitting he had a chocolate caterpillar cake for afters lol.

Great to read so many of us are singing off the same gamble free page. Really feels like there are so many here living in harmony with our foe. Long may it continue. Together we do stand united in our quest to live a better life from both the supporters and recovering addicts side.

Today once again like many days before i am proud to be able to share my amazing journey with you all.

No bet today, nothing would be worth having a punt on.

Duncs stepping forward never back.

Posted : 20th March 2013 10:47 pm
Dragonfly
(@dragonfly)

So glad you had such a lovely day making memories. Happy birthday Joel.

My son is thirty this year, my but the years whizz by.

Wishing you all health, happiness and many more memories.

xxx

Posted : 20th March 2013 11:47 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hey Duncs ...Im hungry already reading your post ...! Wish I could have sat at your sons bday bash ...wow 19 ...I remember it well ..lol

As re says keep writing your new script and making new memories

Just put my wheelie bin out...noticed it was bulging a bit more than usual ...lol

keeping on keeping on and feeling he community spirit on the forum

R and D xx

Posted : 21st March 2013 12:08 am
(@Anonymous)

Another great post mate, as you say lots of us beating this and long may it continue

All the best

Posted : 21st March 2013 12:21 am
(@Anonymous)

Hey Duncs

Hope all is well. thanks for the kind words on my thread. Best wishes.

G

Posted : 21st March 2013 11:46 am
duncan.mac
(@duncan-mac)
Topic starter

Morning diary.

Today is world poetry day, I wish to share a line or two from my favourate poem, the one I carry in my wallet in the place of bankcards.

" If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on a turn of pitch and toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word of your loss."

No bet today, I did risk all I was prepared to risk.

duncs stepping forward never back.

Posted : 21st March 2013 2:11 pm
Page 104 / 329

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close