New me started 5th June 2020

323 Posts
30 Users
1 Likes
36.8 K Views
(@bladesman)

Happy anniversary! ?? you've been with me from day 1 and have given great advice along the way, 1 week to go for me.

To all the newcomers struggling with this addiction, this lady is an inspiration and proves that with determination, getting the right support and working through the bad times it is possible to rebuild our lives no matter how low we get.

All the best?

Posted : 4th June 2022 9:33 pm
(@bladesman)

Thanks for the message, incredible really isn't it, long may it continue

All the best ?

Posted : 12th June 2022 7:29 pm
(@bladesman)

As an after thought I wonder what has happened to Aum as he hasn't posted for 3 months now and he always sent a message when we posted. Hope he is ok 

Posted : 12th June 2022 7:42 pm
(@charlieboy)
Topic starter

Well, well hi all I haven't posted in a long while but I still read and am active in other areas raising awareness of gambling harm and family impact. It's 935 days since I turned my life around and I don't look back. But a little question maybe someone could help me with? My son turned 18 a few days ago and couldn't wait to put a bet on , I don't know why but I assumed that my struggles would put him off gambling. Obviously I've talked to him as an adult, and in a non judgemental way and stressed that I'm here for him should it become a problem. Anything else I can do ? 

Posted : 26th December 2022 10:45 pm
Chris.UK
(@chris-uk)

@charlieboy Hi, glad to see you’re doing so well.

My kids are either side of yours, and they’ve known about my problems since they were little. They’ve seen me at my lowest as well as seeing how better I am in every way when I don’t gamble.

The subject has been spoken about and I’ve just said that the choice is theirs, but to understand the possible consequences if they end up like me. That, and the fact that they work really hard to earn their own money and pocket money respectively, and it could be lost and they’d have nothing to show for it.

Because they are girls I think there’s less risk but it’s the same as going out drinking or drug taking. I try to encourage them not to, to spell out the dangers, and being there for them if it goes wrong.

Ultimately, and it pains me to say it, it’s their choice. I just know that as long as I stay clean I can support them should it go wrong and encourage them to make the right decisions in life. 
Chris.

Posted : 27th December 2022 3:21 pm
(@charlieboy)
Topic starter

@chris-uk hi chris, thanks for your reply I hope you're well. Yeah you've sort of confirmed what I've been thinking, it is his choice and it is neither something that I can influence or should be is an adult. I think I've fully explained to him in detail how compulsive gambling has affected me and will be a lifelong issue for me. I hope I've also shown him how with hard work and determination recovery is possible and he's seen the positive effects that recovery has had on my mental health, relationships and finances. A big plus for me is that with thinking about it I see us has a much better relationship with money than I've ever had, up until now I've never saved a penny, he spends but he also saves!! As long as like you've said I keep myself in order I can be there for him should he hit any problems, he talks to me about everything so I feel confident he could tell me if gambling became harmful to him. Thanks once again for advise and good to hear from you. Kind regards @charlieboy

Posted : 28th December 2022 12:51 pm
(@bladesman)

Hi Charlieboy, great to see you are still going strong. I think as parents all we can do is guide them in the right direction and let them make their own decisions. He sounds a good lad with his head screwed on so will know how much you are worrying about him falling into the trap. As a mother and someone who has been there I'm sure you would spot any signs of it becoming a problem.

For me, both my kids used to gamble mainly on football but since they found out about my gambling they no longer do it. My son has a friend who got himself into serious debt through gambling so they know the consequences of it all.

Anyway, nearly another year gamble free, can you believe it?

All the best to you and yours

Posted : 30th December 2022 11:29 am
(@charlieboy)
Topic starter

@bladesman hey,hey,hey, lovely to hear from you !! I'm so glad we're both doing good. Yeah I suppose I was a bit naive thinking he wouldn't gamble but he's an adult and I have to let him do his own thing. As long as he knows he can absolutely 100% come to me if he has an issue. I'd never judge him. Hope you're all well, and it's made me happy to know you're still doing good ?

Posted : 30th December 2022 3:50 pm
Page 22 / 22

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close