Time for a diary

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Evening all.

I have been in and out of these forums since the start of the year and a lurker for a good while longer.

I have been gambling for over 10 years. With not much in debt apart from my student overdraft. This year i finally got outside help in the form of councilling from a great charity. They have helped me to no end. Finally confronted why i gamble, how to keep calm and deal with urges in the future.

As i travel a lot for work i am unable to go down the usual self exclude from everywhere local and bunker down route.

I have got a credit card with a low cash limit. All online accounts are closed and i try leave my debit card at home while i am away.

I recently completed 25 days without gambling. And with small urges, i was feeling on top of the world. Having money again to spend time with friends and my girlfriend.

On sunday i ruined it all. I slipped and managed to loose over 100 pound on a fobt in a service station....

I am not going to let it get to me though. I am starting again in terms of days but i managed to stop and not chase anything.

To a new day of fighting the urge and looking forward to a brighter future.

Posted : 23rd June 2015 8:32 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Ha well that didnt go so well. Managed to have one last 'play'. Back to zero days....

Posted : 23rd June 2015 9:46 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Going well so far. Was tempted while stopped at a service station but preemted by not bringing any cash from the car. I wonder if there are any self exclude options for these service stations.

Posted : 25th June 2015 9:32 pm
(@Anonymous)

Well done.

With regard to any place which offers 18+ gaming that I see as a risk, I write you them with a photo in the corner of the letter and say

I have taken the decision that I no longer wish to gamble on your premises. As a result therefore I advise you accept that this letter is a request for you to exclude me from your premises. Whilst this letter may not follow your self exclusion process, as a responsible organisation I expect you to share my request with your staff and that should I attempt to gamble that you will politely tell me to leave. This request is for the next 3 years..

It does work as all places which offer 18+ Gambling must have a responsible person in attendance.

I hope tomorrow is good for you.

Posted : 25th June 2015 11:01 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Things are going well, had a bit of a tough couple of urges over the last couple of days but managed to tap myself out of them with a technique taught in my councelling. Pay day on tuesday so will have to be extra careful going forward.

Also got a response from welcome break and it is exactly how you described sbisstopping. Cheers. I will print out some pictures and pass them on each time i stop.

Posted : 28th June 2015 11:36 am
(@Anonymous)

Great. If you travel about a bit, try to think of those services en riute and send them all letters. Just takes away the opportunity by remiving location from the time, money, location triangle. Keep strong!.

Posted : 28th June 2015 7:20 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Been a little while since i last posted. Things were going alright. Payday hit with a force though and i did have a set back. Felt ill afterwards and never tried to chase any of my losses. Things seem to be going well though urges are still hitting.

Im out the country for the next payday so hopefully it wont have the same effect. If i can control that it should have been a long enough time till the one after and my last gamble.

Cheers

Posted : 7th July 2015 8:00 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Things have gone well today, passed another picture and letter at a service station i visit. Things are looking up.

Posted : 8th July 2015 8:38 pm
(@Anonymous)

Well done James. Just keep some "dear sir" self exclusion letters in your car and keep giving them out.

Posted : 8th July 2015 10:19 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 12. Been here before and happy to be back in double digits. Its been a long time since i have had a full month break. Really looking forward to it.

I have a few events coming up i need to keep money for so an extra insentive. Roll on 2 weeks!

Posted : 14th July 2015 9:41 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Been a while since my last update. I have been pretty busy with work and happy to report the only thing was 2 pound in a quiz machine in the pub 🙂 Things are going well being able to control the urges. I have some more exclusions to get done but im hoping im over a hump looking at my account having money at the end of the month for the first time in a long time!

Posted : 25th July 2015 9:26 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Guys,

It has been a long road of ups and downs since I started the thread above. Last year was a very bad year, i would say i hit rock bottom. But that was a year ago and i have been gamble free for a year as of this month. I have paid off most of my debts and can actually sleep at night without worrying about money. Things are insanely better.

The things i put this success down to are:

• Finding something else to do, most of the time i would be by myself or bored, tired, upset when i gambled. Having a new hobby or goal really helped.
  • Finding councelling or help (i had a lot of issues to deal with)
  • Exclussion from all bookies within a massive radius, i keep the list of them in my wallet
  • Technology like gamban and also registering with gamstop

I just wanted to check in to say to everyone who is struggling and cannot see an end to the pain, it is possible, you can beat this, you are strong enough and you will win. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow or a year from now, but at the end of your journey you will get there.

Posted : 25th August 2018 11:04 am
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Jameswoods99,

congratulations on your year gamble-free! Thank you very much for updateing us and also for the list of things that helped you the most, it will be really helpful for those who are just starting out and those who find it challenging to keep on the right track.

Keep up the excellent work.

All the best,

Eva

Forum Admin

Posted : 25th August 2018 7:56 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close