9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi so I decided to tackle my problem and give this a go. Im 29 years old and finally realised I cant go on like this anymore. Iv'e been in a strange place this past 6 months, betting at every opportunity taking out pay day loans and maxing credit cards to chase losses. Not sure how iv went on so long without breaking point, which came last night when i opened up to my girlfriend by crying. I told her two years ago i thought i had a problem and tears were shed and all that but I still never stopped. So it was even harder to open up this time. But she is incredibly supportive again. I dont know how. The problem really arose 2 weeks ago when i realised i could deposit via pay pal bank account even though i was already well overdrawn with my bank. Eventually they stopped letting me deposit but the damage was done. Now im in a negative balance with both pay pal and the bank. With more charges to come im sure. I just want to stop completely. Yday was the first day i didnt do a bet in a very long time. But i did try.. i opened up skrill and neteller hoping they would let me deposit from my bank account just like pay pal did. Pathetic really.

Posted : 26th August 2018 10:33 am
Joe-90
(@joe-90)

Hi there,

I was in the same boat mate, I would do anything I could to gamble. Bills were not been paid and it all came to a head, then I went to GA. There was no quick fix and I did have a replapse but I now understand this addiction and what it takes to tackle it. You need as much support as you can get for this and being complelty open and honest is essential. GA meetings are in my view an essential source of support. When I thought I was 'cured' adn stopped is when I replaced

Posted : 27th August 2018 1:28 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Cheers Joe for the reply. Appreciate it. Yea i would have done anything to bet rather than face up to it. Kept thinking one more big bet and a win will fix this and i will never bet again. Been saying that for years to myself I suppose. This is day 3 and i am feeling strangely positive. Confessing to my girlfriend was the best thing i done..better than winning a big bet cos that big bet only would have been lost again. Iv realised i cant win now. Quitting is the only way I can win. I was always a sports betting man.. horses and slots have no appeal. Not even football which i love. Snooker tennis and golf was what I have been gambling on. As i was chasing i was putting on 100 to win 3000 then to win 4000. The 100's went very quickly and i never succeeded. More often than not only one of 6 or 7 selections would get beaten. I was soo close so often. But it was hours and hours of refreshing live scores. Not wanting to talk to anyone in work, leaving my desk when more than 2 people came into the office i would go straight to the cubical toilet sit and refresh my phone. I was really good at hiding it tho. As most of us are.

Wonder has anyone on here been in a negative balance with pay pal. Iv a big outstanding balance with them and wonder how they are to deal with. Im going to have to phone them 2moro but i can just hear them demanding all their money as soon as with big threats. Which i can't afford at all. Still feeling positive tho. Strangely.

Posted : 27th August 2018 4:56 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

How

Posted : 19th October 2018 11:38 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Can feel myself slipping back into my old habits. Im no longer gamble free, havin't been for a month or two. Slipping off to the bookies after work to try and recoup a loss from my previous bet! Trying to win money to pay for things but just making everything worse!

Need to beat this.

Posted : 11th February 2019 9:32 pm
(@Anonymous)

Analyse it in yourself - are you trying to make enough money to treat the people you love;

Or,

Did you miss the buzz and want to get it back.

Maybe it's both. But I'm willing to wager it's the later. You miss the buzz.

So, accept that in yourself. Find a new way to get that buzz without it being so self-destructive.

M.

Posted : 11th February 2019 10:19 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

You are spot on! It is both, but much more the latter!

The buzz needs replaced! Sounds so simple. I know its not tho!

Thank you!!

Posted : 11th February 2019 10:41 pm
(@Anonymous)

Apologies, I didn't want to make it sound so simple. If it was that simple none of us would be here!

It's important to understand though why we do what we do.

Max

Posted : 11th February 2019 10:53 pm
(@Anonymous)

Maybe you could find a new buzz. What do you enjoy? Music, movies, sports, travel?

Maybe you could look at what you enjoy and try to find something that will create happy memories instead of the negative ones that come with gambling and chasing our losses.

CJ.

Posted : 11th February 2019 11:18 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close