Where to Start

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi all, just joined. Wished I didn’t have too but advice is always good.

So for the last couple of years I have pretty much gambled every wage I’ve had, won some, lost more as most will know.

Last month though I came clean to the missus and said I had enough, we’ve recently had our first baby and I decided I basically need to get a grip, I managed to last a month and today I’ve just blown £450, no idea why, suddenly thought it would be a good idea, that was the last of our cash... still need to pay my rent etc.

So now I have no idea how to proceed, if I tell her about this she’s gonna leave me, rightly so. Which of course I don’t want. I’ve self excluded myself from the ones I mainly use and I’ll start just searching for ones to block myself from and I’ve heard I can put some sort of blocker on my phone?

The current issue I have is, where the hell do I find the money to fix what I’ve done. Terrified that I’m about to lose everything that matters through being a selfish greedy t**t thinking a win is on the next spin

Posted : 3rd January 2018 6:55 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Dear Greyfoxxx

Welcome to the GamCare forum. You've done the right thing by asking for help. I've taken the liberty of moving your post to the New Member Introductions section, as I think you'll get more responses there.

You're wondering where to get the money to 'fix' what you've done. It is tempting to borrow more money but before you make any decisions we would suggest you get some impartial debt advice. We list several sources of advice here:

http://www.gamcare.org.uk/get-advice/what-can-you-do/finance-and-debt-management

You also ask about blocking software. You can find out more about the options you have available here:

http://www.gamcare.org.uk/get-advice/what-can-you-do/blocking-software

Keep posting and I hope you get lots of feedback from forum users.

Best wishes

Deirdre
Forum Admin

Posted : 5th January 2018 12:02 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi mate

I joined a few days ago, read my story and the sound advice I have been given. Gambling is a destructive addiction that does horrific things to the mind aswell as your finances. Willpower alone is definitely not enough, you have proved that, 1 month clean then back gambling. You need to tell your partner the truth no matter how difficult. Only this time you must put the blocks in place to prevent you having access to money, then put a plan in place- counselling, GA etc. The money has gone, you cannot change that, but there is a strong possibility you will gamble next months wages too by chasing your losses and thinking the big win is just around the corner. Everyone on here will understand as we have done the same crazy things. Act Now.

Good Luck

Posted : 5th January 2018 2:23 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Cheers for the replies.

Came clean about everything, she stuck by me. Family helped with the loss and sorted out money i had thrown away, the missus now has complete financial control which I agreed to, needs to be done.

Haven’t gambled since that night, it is practically impossible for me to gamble now, and if I did, I wouldn’t be able to hide it... all of which is a good thing. It keeps me motivated. The urge is still there, especially when ye see the adverts etc, horrible feeling. The missus is fair though, always good at chatting about things and of course time spent with my daughter when not working is probably the biggest reminder of why I can’t be selfish like that anymore

Posted : 11th January 2018 10:54 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi GF

Well done, its so hard to admit having a problem, but I'm pleased its worked out for you, and your loved ones want to help. Stick at it.

All the best

Posted : 11th January 2018 9:08 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close