A long time coming

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hey guys at gamcare,

I need to start with the fact that I'm grateful to be here and hopefully getting some real good advice from you guys. Now I don't think I am addicted to gambling but I do believe that it won't be long. Let me tell you how it all started. When I was a young boy, maybe around the age of 13-14. I would go to a friends house and he had this old

Used slot machine, a pool table etc, etc. He actually owns a website http://www.used.forsale/ where he sells all hese kinds of amusments. We would play on the slot machine whenever we were not on the table, this mounted up to be a lot of hours if you counted it up. Then when I reached legal gambling age I would be in the bookies or online dropping a bit of cash here and a little there.

Anyway about a week ago I blew a lot of cash on a dumb bet and it made me (and my misses) so angry! I personally believe that I won't go back in bookies again due to rage and pure stupidity but, on the other hand, I'm not 100%... What I could do with, is a little inspiration from you guys and maybe a few points of what you do to stop yourself? maybe this way I can stop before I really start....

Looking forward to what some of you guys have to say! any ideas/advice/help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Posted : 14th February 2017 8:51 am
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Jamm

Welcome to the forum if you are thinking of stopping gambling you can self - exclude from all betting shops in your local area by calling 0800 294 2060 and they will help you with this process you can ban yourself from local betting shops this way for 6 months or longer. Please see this link for some guidelines on taking steps to get help and support. On this link you will also find a self assesment tool which if you want to use it can help you find out how much gambling is affecting your life and it will give you some feedback. http://www.gamcare.org.uk/get-support/yourself .

There are strategies such as keeping busy with other ineterests if you stop gambling and also resticting access to cash /cards for a time helps some people. Some people also set themselves goals for example to save for something they want this can help keep motivated moving towards your goals and making them happen.

We also have a helpline on 0808 8020 133 if you would like to talk to someone about your gambling the helpline is open 8am to midnight everyday and advisors will listen to your concerns

Keep posting we are here to support you

Take care

Forum admin

Posted : 14th February 2017 9:56 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Some really good information there, thanks!

After reading through the link that alone is quite the eye-opener and there is loads of help there for people just like me. I am gong to spend a little more time reading through the site and giving these phone numbers a call to see all the different options I have to consider. After this, i will be back here before I make my final decision!

Thank you so much for the reply and the help!

Posted : 15th February 2017 4:15 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

I have read through the site now and I believe t is a good decision to give them a call and see what comes of that. I will wait until the morning and clear headed. As of interest (hobbies), I am going to start having a look into baking and see if I enjoy that, I suppose giving anything ago is better than getting myself into a deep hole!

Thanks again back tomorrow!

Posted : 15th February 2017 7:14 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

There is a short YouTube video below, what do you think of this kind of treatment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3GsqZtfUkE

Posted : 15th February 2017 7:53 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi jamm I think admittance is your first priority.

Mentioned above by you. You seem to believe you're not addicted to gambaling..

Which brings about my question how did you find yourself here if you don't believe you're addicted?

There's plenty of support and advice on the forum. And that leans towards counselling, self exclusion, gambalers anonymous, financial control.
From. Reading the initial post I can see your partner knows what's going on so you have started on the right foot.

I've also looked at the YouTube link again only the most extreme of cases would even consider hypnosis as it's a big fat waste of money in my opinion.

I'm unsure how you would think it would work if you're not addicted

All the best

Posted : 15th February 2017 6:53 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close