213 Days Gamble Free ???

94 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
14.6 K Views
(@rochg)

Good morning Stephen and with food in the fridge, money in your pocket and ducks abound I'd say life's looking good right now. Looks good to me!

With your exquisite turn of phrase, I'm wondering if you've heard of a comedy called 'Upstart Crow' on the BBC iPlayer. It's a very cleverly written show, by Ben Elton, and stars top-drawer actors including David Mitchell, Harry Enfield and more. It's set in Shakespearean times, the star is Shakespeare, no less, and it's a pleasure to enjoy the scripting (especially the Shakespearean insults!) and the acting. 

There are some clips on Youtube to give you a feel - just search for 'Upstart Crow'.

You will LOVE it Stephen!

Meantime, here's to a peaceful, fulfilling Sunday 🙂

Posted : 21st March 2021 11:42 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Roch for alerting me to "Upstart Crow." I watched some snippets on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't possess a television (or have a license) and have only a limited amount of data so will not be able to watch the full episodes. I plan on moving in the not too distant future so will maybe buy a telly than.

Hello Diary. 

Today has great significance because I telephoned the debt company and paid off my outstanding debt.

Since the start of March my bank balance has exceeded my debt but was reluctant to pay it off with wanting the savings to go towards moving home.

However, after frequent mind changing I decided it was best to be debt free and put off moving home until I have some more savings.

So here I am, totally debt free & 246 days gamble free.

It feels strange because 5 years ago when I started the debt repayments it seemed like I would never be debt free. 

Aum ?

Posted : 22nd March 2021 2:08 pm
(@happy123)

Hi Aum,

That's brilliant that you've gotten debt free, it must be some feeling! I've been in debt my whole life. It all started for me when I was a lazy teenager in college and I took out a tonne of student loans and then gambling came into my life and I put off paying back all those loans so I could service my gambling and up until June 2019 when I was found out by my partner I had probably tripled those debts in the ten years that I left college. Thankfully in the last 20 months or so I've put a serious dent in those debts, but as I am also saving for a new home, it will be another couple of years until I can join you in the debt free side of things. It's my biggest goal though and it is achievable if I keep on my current trajectory. Anyway just another congrats on becoming debt free, enjoy it, it is well deserved!

Cheers, Happy

Posted : 22nd March 2021 6:17 pm
(@rochg)

247 days gambling-free today Stephen ... 247 days you've been 24/7 without this impediment!

And yesterday you received your first dividend in five years - a debt-free notification.  No debt, no interest, no being beholden to someone or something else.  I hope the air tastes as sweet as I imagine you thinking!

When you visit your feathered friends later Stephen watch their extra special vibrant waddles and quacks ... they know too!

Wishing you a v v v relaxing peace-of-mind week.

This post was modified 3 years ago by RochG

Posted : 23rd March 2021 10:26 am
stevenh60
(@stevenh60)

Hi Aum,

Massive congratulations on both 247 gamble free days and paying off your debt. I think you have made the wise choice there, and it must be a massive weight from your mind. I'm sure that moving in the future will well be within your means.

They always say, and it proves to be true, that if you look after yourself first, the money will always take care of itself 🙂

Best Wishes

S x

This post was modified 3 years ago by stevenh60

Posted : 23rd March 2021 1:54 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks Happy, Roch and Steven for those wonderful posts. I am very grateful for your support and encouragement.

Warm and dry today. Enjoyed a walk to the riverside and fed the ducks on the way. 

247 days with no gambling and now completely free from debt. It feels strange to be honest but in a good way. 

Aum ?

This post was modified 3 years ago by Aum

Posted : 23rd March 2021 10:48 pm
Scottydog71
(@scottydogg)

Hi Stephen sorry not forgotten you well done on your 247 days hope you are well I not been on had a setback on my health it’s been a bit of nightmare but still Gamble free and hope to stay that way I guess we all have ups and downs to deal with I was hoping to have more ups this year ? hope to speak soon                      
   Your friend scotty?? 

Posted : 23rd March 2021 10:57 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks for visiting my diary Scotty. Saddened to read that you have been struggling with health issues. Hope you are now feeling better. Congratulations on 380 days gamble free ?. That is a wonderful achievement. 

Hello Diary.

Peaceful day here in Hull

Humber waters flowing

Two four eight days gamble free

Self respect is growing

Aum ?

Posted : 24th March 2021 1:37 pm
(@debsy371)

Still going strong I see! How fantastic . X

Posted : 24th March 2021 6:31 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks Debsy for being a kind and supportive friend. 

Good morning diary. 

A passing bird just winked at me  ? nodding his little head

Moved his beak up and down but don't know what he said

Perhaps this flighty feathered friend could sense that I felt fine

Gamble free and smiling on day 249.

Aum ?

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Aum

Posted : 25th March 2021 11:25 am
(@rochg)

The birdie nodded at you, yes

Because you're doing your best

With extra cash so nifty

One eye on 2 ton and 50 ...

One day at a time Stephen and this is the reward 🙂 a huge incentive for me and so many more here 🙂 wishing you a fantastic end of the week! 🙂

Posted : 25th March 2021 2:01 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Haha thank you Roch. Your kind words brought a smile to my face. 

Good morning diary. 

I thought today would be my 250th gamble free day but double checked and today is day 249.

A friend asked me in the Peeraid chatroom this morning if I felt I had turned a corner in my recovery? 

The answer to that has got to be a big YES. 

The last nine years have been traumatic due to a compulsion which involved me giving most of my savings, earnings & pension to betting shops. 

I am now debt free and have sufficient to live a comfortable life with adventures and fun along the way. 

It doesn't take a genius to see that gambling is not in my best interest and it will no longer feature in my life. 

Aum ?

This post was modified 3 years ago by Aum

Posted : 26th March 2021 12:20 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

⭐ 250 Days Gamble Free ⭐

?????????????

Life is very pleasant 

Now that I don't bet

Money in the bank 

Cleared the gambling debt

Enjoying a meaningful life 

Before I did merely exist

Bamboozled by the bookies

Caught up in a gambling mist. 

Aum ?

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Aum

Posted : 27th March 2021 1:58 am
(@rochg)

Good afternoon Stephen 🙂

Your statement 

"It doesn't take a genius to see that gambling is not in my best interest and it will no longer feature in my life."

sums it up for me.  There it is, in one!

And isn't it great when the mists clear.  It gives our mind, not just our eyes, visual clarity.  

I believe that recovering people such as ourselves appreciate life just a little bit more, because it's just that little bit more hard earned 🙂

Wishing you inner peace this weekend, my friend. 🙂

Posted : 27th March 2021 1:23 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Posted by: RochG

Good afternoon Stephen 🙂

Your statement 

"It doesn't take a genius to see that gambling is not in my best interest and it will no longer feature in my life."

sums it up for me.  There it is, in one!

And isn't it great when the mists clear.  It gives our mind, not just our eyes, visual clarity.  

I believe that recovering people such as ourselves appreciate life just a little bit more, because it's just that little bit more hard earned 🙂

Wishing you inner peace this weekend, my friend. 🙂

Thank you for your excellent post Roch. It gave me good food for thought. 

Hello Diary.

Thoroughly enjoyed today and very happy to be 250 days into my great adventure. 

Now consider myself well on the way to making a full recovery from gambling addiction and am already feeling more confident and self assured. 

The gambling door has closed behind me and I look forward to exploring the opportunities that will present themselves in the future. 

Aum ?

Posted : 28th March 2021 12:03 am
Page 6 / 7

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close