Dan's Diary

226 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
22.1 K Views
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Morning Compulsive Gambler. Many thanks for posting on my diary.

Congratulations on your wonderful progress. You have a great attitude to recovery and have displayed much courage and wisdom whilst also giving support and encouragement to your fellow travellers.

Not long now before you will be celebrating 500 days without a bet. A truly wonderful achievement which can only be appreciated by someone who has suffered through this insidious addiction and can understand the trials and tribulations that you have had to endure and overcome.

Friends like you are an inspiration to myself and others who are travelling this road and are good people to turn to when doubts and uncertainty creep in. Like beacons of light displaying courage, integrity and wisdom. You are now heading for a better life free from the tyrannical influence that tried to destroy you.

I salute you and wish you peace, contentment and plenty of good adventures...stephen

Posted : 9th August 2018 10:33 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

thank you Stephen

just checking in - day 499 is nearly over, many unforseen challenges in the last 7-10 days but no desire or temptation to gamble

one day at a time

Posted : 18th August 2018 11:42 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Congratulation on a magnificent achievement. 500 days Gamble Free.

Just been reading a few of your posts which highlight the anguish, shame and guilt that compulsive gamblers live with on a daily basis. I found your first post on this diary quite emotive. It painted a very vivid picture and I am sure many on the diaries could empathise with the negative thoughts and emotions you felt at the time.

However, today is a day of celebration. I send my best wishes and hearty congratulations to a man of courage, integrity and warmth who has battled on in the face of adversity. You join another of my role models on the diaries (Sharon) who also recently passed the 500 day mark. The both of you inspire me greatly and the examples you have set give me hope and inspiration. Keep blazing that trail my friend, stay strong and give yourself the love and respect you deserve....stephen

Posted : 19th August 2018 12:00 pm
DeterminedDan
(@determineddan)

Congratulations on reaching 500 days, gamble free! A fantastic achievement. Well done!

Posted : 19th August 2018 12:04 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

Many thanks both, yes today is a nice milestone of 500 days gamble free

I think somewhere in one of my any ramblings I said I'd post in success stories when I reached 500 but whilst I am pleased, genuinely very pleased to reach this mark it feels less of a success than I would of thought, 500 days ago.

I shall carry on for now, one day at a time but really appreciate the supportive comments and please believe me when I say how much I remember the pain so well, I am starting slowly to live a little more though, some days I still have fleeting moments where I feel bitter but I never let this last or dwell on it and on reflection is probably my top tip for anyone starting this fight, accept it, you lost. I did, gambling beat me.

best wishes all

Posted : 19th August 2018 4:01 pm
(@lethe)

Hi CG

Many congrats on your milestone 🙂

Not sure if you've been yet but I hope you enjoy/ed your holiday. Seeing people reap the rewards of recovery (and not just monetary) is one of my favourite things on here 🙂

Posted : 19th August 2018 8:03 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi CG,

Whilst you report finding that passing such a big milestone felt like less of a success than you'd have thought it would have been, this is a fantastic achievement. It's great that you don't dwell on the past; keep encouraged, keep looking fowards, and keep posting. You're an inspiration to others on the forum.

Warm regards

Leigh

Forum Admin

Posted : 20th August 2018 11:44 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

Thank you Lethe and FA - I am delighted to reach the 500, I think I just want to keep myself grounded by remembering the context that I previously gambled for over 10,000 days so I have some balancing out still to do! 🙂

Happy days though and yes we did manage a Holiday, the first in many years and plenty of ice-creams were consumed (this was one of my original goals) Knowing that we went on holiday able to afford it and not being reliant on credit did add to my satisfaction, for sure.

Thanks again and please no-one that happens across this feel despondant on what ive typed, its been hard work, it still is hard, mentally and physically I have lots of recovery ahead but I am starting to enjoy life again and that truly is the best reward I could ask for.

Posted : 20th August 2018 12:24 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

day 518

Posted : 6th September 2018 11:00 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

day 568

it's still a long slog, still lots of negativity around me, all becuase of my previous choices, however I am still choosing to not gamble and that feels good

Posted : 26th October 2018 3:56 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

actually, it feels amazing (not just good!)

Posted : 26th October 2018 3:57 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

577 days gamble free

daily challenges and triggers but still no desire or temptation to return

must book more counselling/ support

Posted : 4th November 2018 10:04 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

602 days gamble free - still has lots of impact but the thoughts and misery are a little less than they once were! a long way to go yet though

Posted : 30th November 2018 12:28 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

617 days gamble free, can actually afford a few presents this year, still some impact on a daily basis but mentally more able to deal with it

Posted : 14th December 2018 12:06 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

day 626

Christmas with no gambling, just the legacy of my choices but it actually feels strange to be in this place, in a good way but strange neverless

one day at a time really has started to add up

Posted : 23rd December 2018 8:51 am
Page 10 / 16

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close