Here goes nothing.

35 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Another diary, another attempt at getting off this gambling treadmill. Need to get a grip before everything ends in tears. Can't win because I can't stop, seems pretty straightforward to me but getting that message through to my thick brain seems as far away as ever. Managed 98 days on the challenge earlier this year, so I can do if I put my mind to it, but I don't hold out much hope.

Posted : 5th May 2016 3:09 pm
triangle
(@triangle)

Spud, have you put any additional support in place like Gamcare counselling or group support from the many places its available? Sounds as if your just trying to do the same thig that failed last time. How about as a starting point you give Gamcare a call?

Posted : 5th May 2016 3:27 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Spud1966,

Thank you for your post, and also for using our Forum.

It seems like you’ve been struggling with your gambling problem for some time now, but had been able to abstain for a good 98 days on the challenge at the beginning of the years. This should be a proof to yourself that you’re capable of overcoming your gambling problem. We are aware of the difficulties one has to go through when trying to stop gambling, and it would help if you can follow the advice on strategies given by us.

I suggest that you take it step by step, and you also need to be patient with yourself whilst following the strategies we offer you, plus all that you’ve learnt from fellow forum members.

Whichever strategies you used to abstain for that length of time, needs to be applied again, and to go even further than before. It’s good that you keep using the forum, and you haven’t given up. Hopefully, you would keep trying until you see and reach the light at the end of the tunnel.

Maybe, you’d like to contact our free phone Helpline on: 0808 8020 133, and have a one to one chat with one of our advisers. An adviser can refer you to 12 sessions of free counselling, if you think you need that support to stop you from gambling, and can also sign-post you to other charitable organisation if we think you’d benefit from their services.

Please continue to read from the Forum, and also keep posting.

Kind regards,

Beatrice

Posted : 5th May 2016 9:55 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Thanks for your comments Triangle & Beatrice, I'll definately mull over the counselling option, I've tried both hypnotherapy & GA in the past but have great difficulty in opening up which hinders the process. There's also stuff buried away that I'm not sure I want dug up again but as I'm at the end of my tether I'll consider anything. Just feel I'm running in treacle, gambling takes so much & gives so little but yet I keep returning. Just need to get some non gambling days behind me because I know it does get easier. Thanks again.

Posted : 6th May 2016 8:14 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Stuck at work on nights, no thoughts of gambling the last couple of days, I'm in that hate everything to do with gambling mood, shame it won't last forever, need to do better when that little voice telling me to have a little punt becomes a roar. Nearly six years since I joined this forum, & no further forward. Get a grip Dave.

Posted : 7th May 2016 8:53 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Won't be gambling today, short term fix for long term misery, about time I stopped using gambling as an escape for all the crud in my life, got to be better ways of dealing with it.

Posted : 8th May 2016 3:49 pm
triangle
(@triangle)

spud1966 wrote:

Thanks for your comments Triangle & Beatrice, I'll definately mull over the counselling option, I've tried both hypnotherapy & GA in the past but have great difficulty in opening up which hinders the process. There's also stuff buried away that I'm not sure I want dug up again but as I'm at the end of my tether I'll consider anything. Just feel I'm running in treacle, gambling takes so much & gives so little but yet I keep returning. Just need to get some non gambling days behind me because I know it does get easier. Thanks again.

Welcome Spud. Your not alone in this journey. keep getting support and help. thanks to you for sharing. Tri x

Posted : 8th May 2016 5:32 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Thanks Tri, plenty of blocks in place, only way I can access money is over a bank counter using ID, which there is little I can do about. No way to live really, but in my situation I have little choice. I can't be trusted, it's as simple as that. Meant to be going on holiday in August so if I can stay away from a punt should be okay & something to look forward to. Day 5/106 hopefully if I can screw the nut can get to106/106.

Posted : 9th May 2016 4:23 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Day7/106 feeling fidgety & depressed, easier said than done to draw a line under your gambling past when it's laughing & taunting you at every turn, you're surrounded by a lifetime of failure, from your heap of a car, to your tatty clothes. All you want to do is turn your rage at the bookies & smash them for big money because this time will be different. Fat chance! I'm a lifetime loser & nothing will ever change that.

Posted : 11th May 2016 9:28 pm
(@Anonymous)

Spud don't be so down on yourself mate. Every successful person will tell you it takes many attempts to succeed at things! Make sure you're using your spare time to do something positive. A hobby, exercise, music, study, charity work? It takes some work but it will happen as long as you keep trying! Best of luck and keep posting and take it one positive step at a time.

Posted : 12th May 2016 3:06 am
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Thanks for the support Chubb, another day without filling the bookies satchels, had a couple of hours spare in a town centre, & must admit felt the pull towards the bookies & York races but managed to itch the itch & spent the few coins I had in my pocket on better things. Can understand trying to fill my time with more productive activities but still need to convince my brain that gambling will only lead to one outcome- misery.

Posted : 12th May 2016 6:40 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Thanks for the support Chubb, another day without filling the bookies satchels, had a couple of hours spare in a town centre, & must admit felt the pull towards the bookies & York races but managed to itch the itch & spent the few coins I had in my pocket on better things. Can understand trying to fill my time with more productive activities but still need to convince my brain that gambling will only lead to one outcome- misery.

Posted : 12th May 2016 6:40 pm
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Day10/106 I won't gamble today have neither the inclination or the means. Weird how you go through periods of clarity when you can see how much damage gambling causes & anything to do with it turns your stomach. Plenty of blocks in place but as someone else commented it's only papering over the cracks, as the underlying problem is still there. Need to come to some sort of conclusion how to deal with that.

Posted : 14th May 2016 9:59 am
franco1875
(@franco1875)
Topic starter

Day11/106 Didn't gamble yesterday but somehow ended up in the bookies to watch some racing. Had no intention of going in but sleepwalked through the front door like the proverbial moth to the flame. Shouldn't be in that environment I know but had no money in my pocket so no damage done. Missing the thrill of a bet I suppose but not the inevitable outcome, need to find a healthier time filler. Onwards & upwards.

Posted : 15th May 2016 12:35 pm
triangle
(@triangle)

spud1966 wrote:

Day11/106 Didn't gamble yesterday but somehow ended up in the bookies to watch some racing. Had no intention of going in but sleepwalked through the front door like the proverbial moth to the flame. Shouldn't be in that environment I know but had no money in my pocket so no damage done. Missing the thrill of a bet I suppose but not the inevitable outcome, need to find a healthier time filler. Onwards & upwards.

Good work on identifying what you were doing. Keep working on it Spud. Tri x

Posted : 15th May 2016 3:35 pm
Page 1 / 3

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close