32.2 K Views
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

P.s. 1577 days - still counting!

Posted : 26th December 2013 1:58 pm
duncan.mac
(@duncan-mac)

Dazzler

Thank you so much for sharing your recovery with us, what is doe's is gifts many folk the knowledge it can be done.

For it I salute you.

Duncs stepping forward never back.

Posted : 26th December 2013 2:33 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Duncs, my recovery hasn't been easy, but it definately gets easier.

The hardest bit was the first few paydays and the realisation that you haven't got enough cash to cover the outgoings, but once I got that straightened out (took quite a while) then it really got much easier.

Never forget the pain it causes when it goes badly wrong...that is my advice, write it down.... remember the misery.... it helps. And put as many blocks in place as possible, I went in every bookies I used and excluded myself, I knew most of the staff for more than 10 years, the embarassement was excruciating but they all knew I had a problem, so in hindsight I shouldn't have cared. It was so worth it, I will never gamble again.

Anyway, I hope you are doing ok, I hope you keep on keeping on.

Happy New Year.

Jim

Posted : 30th December 2013 2:04 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Jim

Hope all is well with you?? Thanks for popping in on my diary, always nice to read a post from the dazzling dazzler! Maths not good so your day count must be about 1600 um, maybe more??

Anyways young man, take care, catch ya later..

ands

Posted : 13th July 2014 8:24 pm
(@Anonymous)

i'm from the other side of the fence - hope you don't mind me posting on your thread- just wanted to say what an amazing achievement. You should be very proud of yourself. Wish my partner had your tenacity & determination. i wish the misery & heartache he's inflicted on others (mainly me) through his addiction on fobts was enough to make him stop but it's not. I'm the one crying my eyes out whilst he's sending me texts telling me he's blown work money again & clearly expects me to get in more debt to bail him out & save his job - becuase i've done it before. I'm just in utter despair. But that seems irrelevant to him because he still won't take full repsonsiblity for his actions. I can't afford to & know i shouldnt' but whilst there's still that shred of hope he might change I end up bailing him out becuase if loses his job, we definitely have no future. I wish you continued success at your brilliant achievement. Stay strong & committed. x

Posted : 13th July 2014 8:42 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Mel,

Sorry to hear you are going through the ringer. I was a terrible partner during my gambling times, would buy presents when I won, lie relentlessly and borrow off anyone when I lost. I know loads of gamblers and most of theml want to give up.

Unfortunately I do not have much advice but if there was someone close to me who knew I was gambling and I knew they would bail me out, I would still be gambling now! I would advise against lending your partner cash, if you must bail him out just pay bills - no money for more gambling.

Hope it all works out for you both, stay positive.

Jim x

Posted : 13th July 2014 9:56 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Just popped in on a few diaries, a few counting days.... I found the focus on one day at a time really helped me...

Day 1785 today and I will not gamble.

Gambling ruined my life and even after nearly 5 years it is a struggle to piece it back together, but I do and I will continue to move on.

I hate gambling.

Jim

Posted : 20th July 2014 10:14 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Just a quick note to say I hope all are doing well and reaching their goals.

Best

Jim

Posted : 20th July 2014 10:16 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 1855

Past 5 year mark now, unbelievable as I rember the bad times like it was only last weekend. Happy to be gambling free.

Thanks, Jim

Posted : 30th September 2014 11:41 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 2009,

All good here - no desire to gamble anymore. Comfortable in the knowledge that one bet will just turn me back into a CG all over again. Noticed a few of the members from when I joined, good to see still active and using the support or supporting others.

I hope everyone is working hard at stopping and that the benefits are making it easier. Since I gave up I have become a workaholic, guess I had to put my energy into something. Sometimes worries me that its as damaging as gambling but pretty sure it is not..... Work takes up lots of time, my type of job is very competative and all about results, I got the job in January after I quit gambling, wonder if I ever would have given up if it wasn't for pushing all my efforts into this. I like to think I would have but who knows.

Anyway...... good luch all and keep strong.

Cheers, Jim

Posted : 3rd March 2015 10:08 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 2992
8 years today since my last bet
Cheers
Jim

Posted : 31st August 2017 1:36 pm
Loxxie
(@loxxie)

Wow...
Amazing..well done you..and massive encouragement for us all

Posted : 31st August 2017 1:39 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 3068. So grateful I managed to give up Gambling, no doubt I would have divorced and lost my house if I hadn't. My mates still have gambling problems, they cannot get out of the hell that they are suffering. I hate gambling as much today as I did on August 30th 2009.

Thanks to this forum for helping me dig my way out one day at a time.

Jim

Posted : 5th November 2017 10:04 am
(@Anonymous)

Inspiring!!!! Keep up good work!

Posted : 5th November 2017 11:36 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)

Day 3068 - fantastic! many congratulations...

i'm only about 2850 days behind you! - I hope it always stays that way for us both

Posted : 6th November 2017 2:21 am
Page 32 / 33

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close