moving on

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Time and time again I relapse. I keep teling myself I will never do it again but tonight I've gone and lost a lot of money. Same old story was winning but just couldn't bank it. Greedy old me wanting more and more. I'm completly done with this addiction, I've got blocks in place but I always find away around them, I think I have tried just about everything but always give into temptation. I just have to have more determination and willpower if I want to recover from this awful addiction. I need to put the money I've lost in the past behind me and move on from it.

Today is day 0 and the end of online gambling for me. Today I start my diary and recovery, I am going to take one day at a time. I no longer want to work just to feed money into slots. This time next year I could be more or less debt free if I can resist the urges.

Any advice would be appreciated

Posted : 4th December 2016 3:56 am
(@mixer)

Hi fiddlesticks. Welcome to a place where you can really slay this demon. We can all relate to what you say. We're all cunning enough to get around the blocks we set, because gambling opportunities are everywhere. It comes down to willpower, motivation and support and our secret weapon - stubbornness, Lets use our stubbornness against the machines and train our brains to hate them.

My advice is, avoid all forms of gambling, in all forms, from now. That includes free games on apps, gaming YouTube videos etc. If you see a gaming advert on the telly turn away in disgust. Genuinely repel from this evil. The support you get from friends and family will be immense. I hope this helps.

Posted : 4th December 2016 8:34 am
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi fiddlesticks.. Welcome to the forum. It's good t hear you have blocks in place but if you keep finding ways round them, it might be an idea to work on the addiction itself by going to a Gamblers Anonymous group or seeing a counsellor. GamCare can offer free counselling in most areas of England, Scotland and Wales. Why not give us a call on 0808 8020 133? We can tell you about the options available and you never know we might be able to help you strengthen your blocks and close any loopholes you've left yourself as well.

Take care

Forum Admin

Posted : 4th December 2016 11:49 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Admin and Mixer for your replies. Councelling is about the only thing I've never tried so I will certainly look into it. I get what your saying Mixer those adverts make you think about gambling, I like the idea of training my brain to hate gambling, most of the time when I've relapsed it's been due to having a random email from a new site and me stupidly thinking I will only put in a tenner.... you know the rest....We cant avoid it, i'ts all around us, its how we deal with it.

I do have betfilter installed, I've had it for a few years and it's worked really well previously but since I've updated to windows 10 I've had problems with it. I have contacted them but they told me it was an ongoing problem, nothing is foolproof I suppose.

Family are not aware I'm still gambling they think I stopped a long time ago, I mangaed 6 months before and that was the best 6 months of my life for a long time, no self loathing, getting depressed and so on. I've not decided if I'm going to tell them or not, they were not very helpul the last time - not that I can bame them.

I'm determined not to gamble one penny in 2017. Debts related to gambling are not too bad approx 9k, I've not been doing it as much as I used to but when I do my bank balance gets a bashing, I can go a few weeks before I do it again. I even bought myself an expensive audi thinking this would stop me gambling, my theory was I would use my money for payments rather than gambling, yeah right! not stopped me one bit.

Feeling deflated and fed up with myself tonight but at least I will sleep better, these feelings will pass but I have no room for complacency. Willpower and determination to get through one day at a time are my priorty.

Good luck everyone

Posted : 5th December 2016 1:21 am
(@mixer)

Hi fiddlesticks,

I would go for counselling as the helpful Gamcare advisor suggested. Book it up, at a time that suits you (no excuses) and go. Don't gamble till then. On your first visit, look the counsellor straight in the eye and tell her you will not gamble whilst these sessions continue. There will be 13, every week. This is the max number and politely insist on this many. Do not break your pledge. Just you it. We are not here for tea and sympathy ("there, there..."), we are here to stop. Now. From this moment. Permanently. I'm serious; are you?

Posted : 5th December 2016 7:43 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hell Yeah Mixer, I'm serious for sure!. Thanks for replying and giving good advice, Its just what I need, someone to tell me how it is. Glad your doing so well in abstaining.

Day 6, no thoughts or urges, 12 hours shifts till next thursday so being kept busy, payday is worring me for some reason, It could be having money tempts me as its usually then I gamble, stopping has made me look at my patterns of behavour. I gamble the beginning of the month then can go 3 weeks without thinking about it then start again when I get paid. I have a 3k overdaraft that I need to pay off so I need to keep money in my bank each month to pay it off. Going to phone the bank on Monday and ask them to reduce it each month and once thats done any money left over can go into my savers account where I cant use online. Just some random thoughts running through my head on ways to avoid gambling at all costs, this time I am determined!

Posted : 10th December 2016 11:32 pm
(@mixer)

Hi fiddlesticks and good to see you're looking at practical steps to help you as you permanently stop throwing money at what we think is escapism yet all know is simply a destructive, poisonous, expensive 'comfort blanket'.

Day 6 and counting. Day 10 is your next milestone.

You can get there, and will get there. I'm following your diary because I know you're serious.

Posted : 11th December 2016 9:24 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Mixer, managed my 10 day milestone 🙂

A quick update, Day 14, only had one urge since I've stopped, managed to ignore it and it went away quite quickly. I've got a small amount of money left from last month wages, I'm really suprised I didn't gamble it all. Just hope I can keep it up when I'm not so busy after Christmas. Working the next couple of days so all should be well till then

Posted : 18th December 2016 5:32 pm
(@mixer)

Hi fiddlesticks,

Great to hear from you and delighted you have hit your 14 day milestone.

Very interesting when you talked about one 'urge' in your these fist two weeks; I had the same, but quickly pulled myself together and brushed it off, like you.

It's not long before Christmas and the holiday period and I think you deserve the happiness of a gambling-free break. Cash in your pocket, and a stress and guilt free mind.

Day 24, by my calculations, will be Christmas Day. And you'll hit a month as we toast in 2017!

Will you do it? Will I do it? Fiddlesticks, on both counts, I have no doubt whatsoever.

Keeping posting, it's fantastic hearing your progress.

Keep strong fiddlesticks 🙂

Posted : 18th December 2016 5:52 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Mixer another great post. We will both do it, cause we are both determined! 2017 the year of being gamble free 🙂

Day 18. No further urges. Back to work tomorrow then off for a few. Working over New Year which I don't mind. Next year it will be my turn to work xmas. It's this time of year that can send me into a gambling frenzy, I have to be on my guard especially as pay day is tomorrow. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy xmas day with my family. Taking one day at a time.

Posted : 22nd December 2016 11:36 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 29, recovery going well so far. Had a couple of small urges but managed to distract myself. Usually by now I would have had a strong urge and caved in but I honestly cant be bothered with the hassle of it all, the feelings afterwards are just not worth it anymore. I hope I've turned a corner this time and continue to feel this way, I'm not ready to believe in myself just yet, I still need to keep my guard up for sure!!

Had a busy weekend at work, got a couple of days off now before I go back. Going to chill tomorrow stay in my pj's all day and watch crappy telly - bliss, then back to work 60 hours Wed to Sat. Holidays next week I have to make sure I have plans and not get bored cause that's when I'm likely to gamble. The challanges are helping a lot so will continue to log in every so often and check in

Posted : 3rd January 2017 12:56 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hello Diary,

My progress in the last 43 days has been pretty good so far, only a couple of small urges but managed to distract myself quickly, money looking slightly healther in the bank, had a week off work without thinking about it, then suddenly I've thought about gambling more today than I have in the last 43 days!, this is why I can never become complacant. The good news for myself is that I'm not going to act on it. I have a site which I self excluded from for 5 years that is up the end of the month which I think is playing in my mind subconsciously, I tried contacting them as under no circumstances do I want to re open the site but the email bounced back so I need to phone them.

I've taken on another job with an agency not for the money but because I have too much time on my hands, working 12 hour shifts means I can have a lot of days off together then thats when I get bored and start to gamble. I've accepted the money has gone and I'm never going to get it back I think thats helping with recovery - no more chasing.

I'm not writting in my diary every day but I am coming on to the site and reading others which is helping.

Keeping my guard up and continuing with the challenges which are helping me the most, thanks guys.

Posted : 17th January 2017 12:54 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close