My diary

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

For me as of now this is day 1. So far I have had an telephone assement with GamCare. Told my wife and dad also my in laws know.

This is the first night I have not slept. Probably due to an email from my dad that hasn't helped. My fault as I asked for money which he gave and I blew it in a week. My fault.

I will keep this diary up to date for myself and others support. I will control this. My next goal is 2 days.

Speak tomorrow.....

Posted : 13th December 2017 4:59 am
(@Anonymous)

Same for me mate, I'm hoping being open with myself and others on here is going to finally kick this for me, i've just registered for online counselling.

Good luck!

Posted : 13th December 2017 7:19 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Good luck to you too.

Posted : 13th December 2017 8:00 am
(@Anonymous)

Just out of interest, what would you say is the main reason that you gamble? The buzz? The financial reward?

Posted : 13th December 2017 9:22 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Ross
As in my profile i started matched betting backing and laying costing say 50p to get a free bet then from the free bet make an 80% profit. All went well until I made a mistake cost me several thousand of my bank thst i had taken 14 months to build doing risk free or low risk stuff. I then chased those losses on the BJ tables. Won it back then lost it. Borrowed money won then lost borrowed more lost it. Borrowed money from my dad in the hope to get back to matched betting. Hit the no tables lost that in a week.

Until the mistake I was in total control happy to may ВЈ8 From a ВЈ10 risk free bet and making up to £800 some months. I enjoyed that part taking money off the bookies but the mistake triggered something in me to gamble.

I felt no emotion winning or even losing! In my final week (last week) i was down to my last ВЈ500 of borrowed money and won £3750 in one go on the BJ table. I felt no emotion. As I knew that money would be gone the next day or so. I did think that I would go back to matched betting but in reality I knew that wouldn't happen. Indeed that money went and I am now here

A
X

Posted : 13th December 2017 9:50 am
Muststop123
(@muststop123)

Hi Woodsy

Well done on telling your wife and family and seeking professional advice. These are two really big steps on your road to recovery.

Getting some professional help with one-to-one or through GA, whatever works for you, will also help as speaking to someone with no direct involvement who can give you advice and help you work out why you are doiing and feeling things is invaluable.

Keep posting, I have found keeping a diary really useful at keeping track of my recovery.

Muststop123

Posted : 13th December 2017 11:23 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks muststop. I have started a diary. Will post most days certainly in the early days.

Stay strong

A

Posted : 13th December 2017 11:44 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 2 for me. Things feel ok. No real pull to hit the tables. Emotionally though it is hard. The debt weighs heavily on my mind. Done the debt remedy with my wife a few times to get it correct. The debt to my family is what worries me. My dad is angry as to be expected.

On to day 3 that is only tomorrow not far away

Stay strong

Posted : 14th December 2017 8:28 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day3 and my second night I have struggled to get a good sleep. No gambling thoughts as such but it is still there. I have no money so can't. Been given money today for fuel and that's what it will be used for.

Before I came clean I slept fine.

Another day of WhatsApp back and forth with my Dad and the rest of the family. I owe lots of money and a big chunk to my dad and he obviously he would like it all back and I have nothing to give him. My wife and I are working on it and the debt remedy plan. He has given me a month to come up with a plan.

To keep me occupied I will write in my diary things I need/want to do. Busy time at work in the run up to Christmas so not much time but have Sunday and Monday off. Sunday will be spent with my wife and stepson. His football and then to the in laws for tea. It is her birthday on Monday. Monday my car goes in to have work done for the mot more.money we don't have. I will go for a walk maybe have Pint if I do as a reward for getting out.

In the evening I have my first face to face session. We will have dinner together before.

Anyway that is my update onto day 4

Stay strong

Posted : 15th December 2017 8:59 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 5

So it is 3am Sunday morning and awake. Listening to TMS. England taking another beating!

No thoughts of gambling but bought a lottery ticket on friday which my wife told me is still gambling. I can't win! Anyway £110m is probably not a good idea at the moment!

Had a civilised talk to Dad on Friday which has helped.

Work is fine very busy at this time of year I feel calm at work but on the edge. No one knows but may need to tell them at some point?

Today is a day with the family something I have not done in a long time.

Tomorrow a walk then need to contact my creditors and see where it goes.

Stay strong

Posted : 17th December 2017 5:12 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close