234 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
31.3 K Views
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks Drama & Bex. It was good of you both to visit my diary and I appreciate your kind words of support and encouragement.

Hello Diary.

I was back at dentist this morning as my temporary crown had come off again. I am trying hard not to knock it. The real one is to be fitted next Tuesday.

Monthly works pension in bank on Friday and I must not under any circumstances risk gambling. Plans made to visit sister and brother in law at Christmas and I need every penny for presents for nephews, nieces, their children plus train tickets and a couple of birthday presents and all the stuff what goes on over the festive period.

As the budgerigar with no teeth said:

I am on a mission to succeed.

Stephen The Virtuous is ready to rumble

Never a frown and never a grumble

Smiling and dancing and rocking along

Heart full of hope and singing a song

Yihaaaa Woohoo

Posted : 25th November 2019 10:51 pm
Livelysoul
(@livelysoul)

Hi Stephen

Bad news about the dentist, or certainly if you feel the way I do about going to the dentist - can’t stand them and avoid at all costs, ironic really that I would avoid somewhere that I would go to if I was in pain and could make it better, yet I’ll happily go somewhere to inflict a worse pain on myself then a dentist ever could. 

Well, I hope the crown stays put until next week. 

As for the time of the month when you are due your money, do whatever it takes to stay distracted. Maybe make as many plans as you can to keep yourself busy so there isn’t time for temptation to creep in. Maybe as as soon as the money hits the account, buy your train tickets and go and get the presents you wish to buy, whatever works for you. Really rooting for you to get through this month gf so you can have a nice Christmas as it should be. 

Nite 

Bex

Posted : 26th November 2019 1:03 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Appreciation for that post Bex. Your advice is just what I needed for it is imperative that this weekend I buy train tickets, presents etc as it will give me piece of mind. Thank you.

Hello Diary

25 days gamble free and ready to Rock n Roll

No poems will I write today for I have not the time

To waste away this rainy day composing words that rhyme

So I will put my wellies on and set out for some laughs

Coins jingling in my pocket for to visit shops and cafes

Posted : 26th November 2019 2:41 pm
(@adam123)

Hi Steven just popping by to say well done on 25 days, spend all ur pension money wisely on Christmas don't get tempted to try and win a bit more make sure u have a good Christmas without any regrets ur priority number one. NO REGETS MATE

Posted : 26th November 2019 7:00 pm
Livelysoul
(@livelysoul)

Hi Stephen 

Thank you for your post on my diary and yes, you were right about a situation - all a major confusion much to my relief. 

As you said, it is imperative to get these things done and definitely worth the piece of mind. One thing that has helped save myself from total disaster in the last year is before payday, creating a list of bills and things I need to sort as soon as the money hits my account. As soon as it’s in, I sit down and work my way through the list before any temptation can creep in. This has worked for me in the sense that this has ensured things like rent and priority bills have been paid and money paid on some debts. Still not where I’d like to be but definitely a long way from the time I’d gamble my whole months wage in one night before paying a single thing. 

Maybe this is something you could try. Write a list of each thing you want to purchase, I.e train ticket and cost and buy it as soon as the money hits your account. The presents you mentioned, maybe have a look online and decide exactly what you want to buy before you get paid so you can reserve it and pay online. At least once you’ve spent the money and it’s out of your account, the risk is reduced and will give you peace of mind you have everything you wanted. Just an idea, but reduce the time for temptation to creep in. 

Hope you had a good day. 

Bex

Posted : 26th November 2019 8:54 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

Hey stephen!! Was struggling to find your new diary as I’ve not been on here since June/July. I’d give all the money and time in the world if it would cure you from gambling, you’ve done amazing helping so many people on here and you deserve to be free form it, and happy consistently. Your poems still help me thru now. That’s really great to hear that you’re going to see your family at Christmas time! Best wishes always 

Posted : 27th November 2019 1:54 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks for posting on my diary. I appreciate the good advice

Adam .... You have worked really hard on all aspects of your life and should be proud of what you have achieved. Well done.

Bex ....Thankyou for posting. I always get vouchers for family members at Christmas so I will get them this weekend. I am fortunate as regards paying bills, because although I get my works pension on the last day of the month, I also get my state pension which is paid every Thursday. The insane thing is that I receive sufficient to enjoy a happy retirement but have in the past made life very difficult for myself by giving a lot of my income to the betting shops. It really does beggar belief.

Lisa.... lovely to hear from you and over the moon that you have been keeping well. Congratulations on your excellent progress in all aspects of your life. You have done really well and deserve to be proud of all you have achieved. 

Good to get a visit from dear friends three

Who threw off all their chains and are striving to be free

It fills my heart with hope and joy to see them forge ahead

May all their dreams be peaceful when sound asleep in bed

This post was modified 4 years ago by Aum

Posted : 27th November 2019 11:11 pm
Livelysoul
(@livelysoul)

Glad to see you had a good day and seem really positive. 

Keep up the great work and the lovely poems. 

Take care

Bex x

Posted : 27th November 2019 11:54 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

Thankyou so much stephen, lovely poem too 🙂 are you going out Christmas shopping on Friday when your pension goes in? What else have you got planned? I think you’ll absolutely smash it this month as you’ve plenty to look forward to over the festive period with your family, I’ve done a lot of my shopping but going for last bits and bobs next weekend with my mum. I did get away a couple of times In the van in summer, Stayed in cheap campsites or parked up anywhere and took a bbq- it was great. Well done on 27 days, so proud of you! 

Posted : 28th November 2019 12:27 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thankyou Bex & Lisa. Your support and encouragement is greatly appreciated. Wishing you both every happiness as you continue on your gamble free journeys.

I am hoping DramaLlama reads this as I want to congratulate you on 60 days GF but I don't want to post over your recent entry so will write on your diary tomorrow.

I am feeling good. Enjoyed some great music tonight (and had a boogie) at a charity variety show. 

Posted : 28th November 2019 11:25 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

Sounds like a great night!! Hope you have a lovely gamble free weekend 

Posted : 28th November 2019 11:43 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Lisa and a happy weekend to you also.

I am going to write down the names of gamcare friends like yourself on a piece of paper and put it in my wallet as a constant reminder that we are all walking together, side by side, on a journey to a happier and more meaningful life.

You have certainly set a great example and my aim is to follow in your footsteps. Many thanks.

Stephen x 

Posted : 29th November 2019 12:13 am
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

what a lovely idea! If I ever get the urge to gamble, Ive wrote myself a pretty harsh letter in my phone notes (sounds crazy I know) and everytime I think about gambling I read that letter and think about what I’ve put myself through on the months I’ve had nothing left and been crying my heart out and it’s always been enough to put me off. I’m just logging back in here every day just now as I really need this next full year to have no hiccups because I’m due a big inheritance soon and I’m not wanting to somehow relapse and end up wasting it when Its going to make my life more comfortable. I’d never forgive myself!

you’re nearly at the end of November and there’s not a chance in hell that you’re not making it through December aswell, I know you can do it 🙂  

Posted : 29th November 2019 6:18 am
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

Ps. It’s “Stephens Friday” for me today! We all get breakfast rolls and coffee from the company from a bakery called Stephens some Fridays, best day ever! 

Posted : 29th November 2019 6:30 am
DramaLlama
(@dramallama)

Posted by: Stephen The Virtuous

Thank you Lisa and a happy weekend to you also.

I am going to write down the names of gamcare friends like yourself on a piece of paper and put it in my wallet as a constant reminder that we are all walking together, side by side, on a journey to a happier and more meaningful life.

You have certainly set a great example and my aim is to follow in your footsteps. Many thanks.

Stephen x 

This is a beautiful idea. Do it! Make sure the paper is real pretty so you can't help but notice it everytime you open your wallet. 

Thanks for your support Stephen. You are a good egg. 

Drama xxx

Posted : 29th November 2019 10:58 am
Page 4 / 16

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close