Time to stop!

386 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
24.5 K Views
(@Anonymous)

Hi Steve,glad all is going well for you mate,you have a good run of work days ahead now!!!,no doubt you'll spend xmas day asleep!!!,good result for your team,i see the manager is being linked to the blades vacancy,hope you keep him at donny,he's doing a great job:).Well done on reaching 10 months free of gambling.

Seano.

Posted : 18th December 2010 8:07 pm
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a wonderfully crafted message of support on my diary. It meant a lot mate and i'm glad to have you in my corner.

Well done on 10 months mate. I remember when you started your latest recovery and i'm so happy you have really stuck to your guns this time.

I hope you have a great xmas mate.

Posted : 19th December 2010 7:02 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi All,

Thanks Stumper, Seano, Post n Curly for your messages of support. They really do mean a lot.

I'm not going to be able to post until after X-mas I don't think as i'm heading for a massively busy week at work next week, so for all it's worth, Merry Christmas Everyone!!

I'm setting a challenge now for everyone to agree on the best X-mas song ever and the worst one ever? My take on it is:

Best - The Pogues - Fairytale In New York

Worst - Anything by Cliff Richard!!

Have a gamble-free stress-less Christmas!!

Stay Strong

Steve

Posted : 20th December 2010 12:13 am
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for your support Steve. I'm glad all is well with you. Your post on the Opg page was great. A real turnaround and example of what can be done. I'll give the best and worst christmas songs some thought! Russ

Posted : 20th December 2010 8:44 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi All,

The Man On The Bus

A True Story

By Steve AKA Yorkie360

I was on the bus as always this morning on my way to work, and on stepped a guy who I see virtually every morning. We don't know each other, but we probably know each other more than most, for I saw this man for the first time nearly 10 years ago. I doubt our paths crossed at all before then, but then again I suppose that we didn't have anything in common back then to make that so. We do now however.

The bus is crammed full like sardines in a tin, and we are standing uncomfortably close to each other at the front of the bus. He doesn't smell very fresh and his clothes look a bit worn and un-ironed. His facial expressions match the look of his clothes and there is an air of despair about him. I know these expressions and this look very well as i'm sure that i've worn them on many an occassion. The kids around us snigger and chuckle under their breath and i'm unsure whether it is directed at this man. He seems focused yet miles away as he stares out of the window. What is he thinking about? I wonder. We finally reach the town centre and get off, like every morning, at the same stop. We then take the same route until a point where our lives seperate for the day. It wasn't always that way, we used to see each other a lot more.

10 years ago I saw this man for the first time. His name is John, that's as much as I know. I only know this as he was greeted by the staff at his chosen establishment by that name that very morning. You see, that was the first day I went into a bookies on my own and of my own accord. If I had hindsight, I would not have stepped one foot in that door that morning. But then again, hindsight was not something I was blessed with, or I would have been seriously more successful than I was a failure, at this game.

Back then I was starting to develop a really bad habit. A habit that would cost me a lot more than the loss of money over those 10 years. I lost my wife and step-kids, my home and very nearly my sanity. God only knows what poor old John has lost, i'd hesitate a guess of about the same if not a lot more.

This morning however, our paths as they have for the last 10 months seperate. I go off to work and he takes the deadly turn into the 'house of horrors'. Maybe I should talk to him and try and explain about the salvation I found on these forums, maybe I should let him know that he isn't the only one, maybe just maybe I should help him leave that life behind him. I think maybe I will just see him take that same journey again tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, a time for celebration and hope. Maybe i'll just wish him Merry Christmas in passing tomorrow and see how it goes. One thing is for sure though, I won't be following John on his journey tomorrow. I have far too much to live for now and I aint letting those bookies have one more penny of my hard earned.

Chapter 2 tomorrow....

Stay Strong

Steve

Posted : 24th December 2010 12:07 am
(@Anonymous)

Terrific post Steve!!!,......hope your christmas is good:).

Seano.

Posted : 24th December 2010 4:43 pm
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve.

Merry xmas mate.

My missus got my a book called the LOST encyclopedia which is crammed with little nuggets of info so my obsession has started again. I've got a few hmv vouchers so i'm thinking the box set will be picked up soon.

A brilliant last post mate. I think we all know that we will end up like 'John' eventually if we do not wise up. It's been great to see the progress you have made this year. You can start 2011 as a new and better man.

I wanted to thank you profusely for the support you have given me over the last year.

Enjoy the rest of the xmas holidays mate.

Posted : 26th December 2010 1:14 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi Steve

Just wnted to say Happy christmas m8 and wish you all the best for the new year.Jeff.

Posted : 27th December 2010 11:36 am
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve.

I'm popping by to wish you a happy new year mate and to give you a virtual handshake.

I hope you are still keeping on the straight and narrow as far as gambling is concerned. If you do get any urges then i hope that you will use these pages to help as you chose to do recently.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon pal.

Posted : 3rd January 2011 12:33 pm
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Nudge, nudge.

I hope everything is going ok mate. I know you do not post much anymore but to tell the truth i miss having you around the place!

Post soon Stevy boy!!

Posted : 13th January 2011 9:37 pm
winningpost
(@winningpost)

happy new year steve mate !!! i know i was taking a break from the diaries but what happened to chapter 2 ??? hope your well mate 😮

Posted : 19th January 2011 12:30 am
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve,

If you are reading this then pop by and let us know how you are doing? Hopefully you are keeping on the straight and narrow and you are working toward that sub 90 round!

Hope to hear from you soon mate.

Posted : 26th February 2011 12:42 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Steve

Not heard from you for a while.Give us an update kid .All the best Jeff.

Posted : 6th March 2011 12:50 pm
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve.

Not sure if you still pop by for a read now and then? I miss your input on here pal.

I still have not got around to buying the LOST boxset on BluRay. I'm waiting for a decent price and i've not seen it for less than £120 thus far. The irony of this does not escape me as i was never this frugal with money when i was throwing £50 after £50 on the dogs.

I hope things are ok with you buddy.

Posted : 11th May 2011 11:28 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Well 10 years on from when I first came on here and I'm back asking for help and encouragement. Guess it's day one all over again, it needs to be for good this time though as I don't think I can cope with another load of relapses. My life is different now. I'm scared of making really bad decisions. The consequences are bigger now. I need to do this for my family.

Posted : 13th May 2017 3:30 am
Page 25 / 26

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close