Time to stop!

386 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
24.5 K Views
(@Anonymous)

Hi Yorkie

You know you are back in the right place m8. You have a great advantage too having already stopped once.As you know once the days start to accumulate it gets a lot easier.

Theres no use in beating yourself up m8.Tomorrow you will be stronger .Let the fight begin.Stay strong Yorkie.All the best Jeff.

Posted : 21st February 2010 9:09 am
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for your post on my diary.

I've just read through your diary mate and i reckon you are quite similar to myself. This entry you made really hit home with me......

"I think you're right, I keep thinking after a hard few weeks or months that i'm ok, that I can have a "little play/go". I have to learn not to fall into that trap."

That sums me up perfectly. Once the pain or the losses has vanished and complacency has set in it becomes a little to easy to think that one little bet will not do any harm. Only it will mate. It puts us right back to square one.

I wish you all the best in your recovery Steve. Keep posting as it definitely helps.

Oh and lastly i would just like to admonish you for spoiling my diet. After reading your post all i can think about now is getting my teeth into a big massive Yorkie. Hahaha.

Posted : 21st February 2010 11:33 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Jeff n Curly,

Nice to know i've got support on here.

Long day at work today and that would normally be followed by a long night on the betting sites, but instead i'm posting on here and have got an episode of Lost to catch up on, surely a cheaper and happier alternative??!!

Bring on day 3, even thinking about hitting the gym or saving what little spare cash i have for a round of golf at weekend. Not sure yet.

Anyway, all the best today everyone.

Stay Strong

Steve

Posted : 22nd February 2010 1:08 am
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Good man Steve,

A fellow LOST fan. Magic. I'm scratching my head a bit at the moment but i'm sure it will all make sense in the end!

It's funny how we never find time for things like the gym when we are gambling. There is a bloke on here (Captain46) who despite all his years gambling can still run 5km in 19mins. He would have been a shoe-in for London 2012 if he had spent more time in the gym and less in the bookies.

Keep making the right choices when the urge comes along to gamble Steve. You know it makes sense.

Posted : 22nd February 2010 7:27 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks Curly,

I'm with ya on the strangeness of Lost at the moment, it's got me all, well a bit lost lol.

Here's how today went:

8 hrs at work - £80 earnt

Tuna n Cheese melt for lunch - £2.50 spent

1hr 30 gruelling mins at gym - £3.50 spent

Knowing that i've reached day 3 without gambling - PRICELESS

Stay strong people

Steve

Posted : 23rd February 2010 12:57 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Steve

Welcome back to the forum.

At least you know alredy that here you will find like-minded people who try and support each other in this dreadful addiction.

I think , if I had relapsed, I would look at what triggers sent me back gambling and then change things, so I wouldn't react if the same or similar situations happen again( I hope).

I feel better if I I'm equipped to deal with life without having to resort to gambling.

That is why this fourm and all it's stories is so important to me in my recovery.

I read stories of how people deal with their life and then, if I find myself in the same situation, I know that I do not have to pick up gambling to get through said situation.

I hope this makes sense.

All the best

God Bless

Charly/Sabine

Posted : 23rd February 2010 9:24 am
Ex-gambler Curly
(@ex-gambler-curly)

Hi Steve. Cheers for the post on my diary.

Nothing wrong with Doncaster Rovers mate! Sitting comfortably in mid-table in the Championship i see. How is 'super' John Oster doing? He came to us as a kid when he was about 18 from Grimsby and looked about 12. He still wouldn't get served in a bar to this day! Nice footballer though.

Good to see you updating your diary Steve. 30odd posts in nearly 3 years must be some kind of record! I hope you continue to post every few days at least as i reckon it definitely helps.

Keep it up Steve.

Posted : 23rd February 2010 9:15 pm
captain46
(@captain46)

Hi Yorkie, thanks for the post and well done on your continuing recovery.

Us athletes need to stick together, hope training for the Great North Run is going well!

Posted : 23rd February 2010 9:37 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks for the posts guys. I really appreciate the support. Thanks for the advice Charly I will take that on board. Super John Oster is doing great for us Curly and still looks 12. Got pipped by Leicester 1-0 tonight, but in all fairness they have a lot more resources than us and we are really punching above our weight in this league, but long may it continue.

Got half day off today and injury to stop me going to the gym, so will have to be on my guard.

Stay Strong

Steve

Posted : 24th February 2010 1:26 am
winningpost
(@winningpost)

yorkie. . Thanks for the post on my diary. .your spot on about abstaining mate. . When i joined these diaries i was so low but as every day passes i grow stronger and stronger in my will to beat this addiction. .its all about confidence and staying bet free helps that enormously. . Nothing wrong with following the rovers especially if its your local team. Too many fans jump on band wagons to glory hunt in my opinion. best wishes and Keep posting you ve proved you can do this mate lets hope we all can. .

Posted : 24th February 2010 9:01 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks post,

Feeling very vulnerable today. Boilers packed in, so waiting for the repair guy to come out and am having very regular thoughts about hitting the bookies when he has been and gone. Might try the chat this afternoon instead.

Stay Strong

Steve

Posted : 24th February 2010 12:24 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi Yorkie

I hope the urges went away today. I liked your post from Monday .the priceless one lol.Stay strong m8 you are doing really well Jeff.

Posted : 24th February 2010 7:36 pm
captain46
(@captain46)

Hi Yorkie, thanks for the post. Hope you coped ok today.

As for the London Marathon, really wouldnt know mate, my distance is 5K, 10K at a stretch!

Posted : 24th February 2010 8:43 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks for your posts Ade, Jeff n Captain,

Managed to get to work last night without going via the bookies. Got a full day off today so will need to be on my guard. I think I may attempt gym today as hamstring feeling a bit better. May even get my hair cut. The excitement hey!! lol .

May do chat later

Stay Strong

Steve

Posted : 25th February 2010 12:42 pm
winningpost
(@winningpost)

if thats the sarcastic excitement yorkie i prefer it that way which means a GAMBLE FREE DAY..keep it going mate..you can do it..

Posted : 25th February 2010 4:49 pm
Page 3 / 26

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close