3 Users
0 Likes
PeerSupportTeam
(@agqjnstu1r)
Admin
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Forum’s new topic! 

This month is Stress Awareness Month 2024, so for the rest of April we will be focusing on “stress”. The campaign encourages us to think #LittleByLittle, focusing on improving our wellbeing by taking small positive actions. For more information and resources about stress, please see: https://www.stress.org.uk/

The Stress Management Society discusses how “even the smallest steps taken each day towards self-care and stress reduction can yield significant improvements in mental health over time.” They encourage us to focus on making manageable adjustments to our daily routines. While the impact of small actions on their own may seem little, the overall effects of these habits can end up being huge.

Our first week's topic is "what is stress?"

You may have heard of the fight/flight response before, this is because stress is mostly a physical response due to our situation causing a mix of chemicals and hormones to be released in our bodies. For more information about what stress is, please see: https://www.stress.org.uk/what-is-stress/

Over to you!

How would you describe stress?

What are your warning signs that you are feeling stressed?

How have your stress levels been recently?

We would love to hear your reflections below!

If you have any ideas of topics you would like to see on the Forum, please let us know below.

*We will be running chatrooms focused on stress during this month and would love to see you there! Check the chatroom times here: https://community.gamcare.org.uk/chatrooms/*

All the best,

Lulu

Online Peer Support Team 

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by PeerSupportTeam

Posted : 8th April 2024 8:26 am
Peer Supporter Patsy
(@ofb741hvqs)

Afternoon everyone

Thought I would post my thoughts and experience on stress, particularly attaching to Gambling harm but general day to day life as well.

Stress is normal, it makes our day tick sometimes. But abnormal pressure or stress when you are spinning many plates can feel impossible. Work, money, family, responsibilities, relationships can all throw curve balls our way all at once sometimes.

Stress management for me is to take time every day to do one thing at least for myself and one thing for someone else. Small steps do count as they can create healthy patterns and habits. A cup of coffee, some nice food, a telephone call with a friend, a bubble bath, exercise class or take your dog for a walk.

In respect of gambling harm, Stress and anxiety are a key component. I have been aware of key times of stress which include , Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries. These times hold such expectation which can make people more vulnerable to gambling harm. Talk plan and prepare as best you can when you head towards those times to take your pressure and stress levels down. Don't have high expectations of yourself and remember that in most cases, your loved ones value you being present rather than having presents!

At the end of a 9 year journey supporting a loved one through gambling harm, I know it is all possible to achieve calm and a sense of purpose for us all.

A Simpler life does indeed bring less stress!!

Love to hear as well on anyone else's thoughts 

Hope very much today is a stress free one 😊

Patsy

Posted : 9th April 2024 3:53 pm
(@banrnwald)

That is great that you ensure you take self-care as a priority. I have supported my partner through nearly 6 years but it has come at a cost (financially and mentally). As much as I wanted to stay and try to help them I feel like I no longer have it in me. All of the other effects of gambling e.g drinking and the anger/ frustration have proved too much to handle on top of my demanding job. How did you cope and manage this for 9 years?

Posted : 10th April 2024 7:24 pm
Peer Supporter Patsy
(@ofb741hvqs)

@banrnwald Thank you for your open and honest comments on how you are feeling supporting a loved one.

Indeed, anyone who supports a loved one is affected mentally and more often financially as well. 

I think once an individual hits the point of not being able to support effectively without experiencing harm themself , I  felt it was  time to convey that. Without realising years roll on and before you know it life is rolling on. 

Have you considered talking to your partner on how you feel or allow yourself to be supported by friends and family as you try to clearly holds down a difficult job yourself.

Only a person that is Gambling can make the decision to stop and get help. So really important for affected others to reduce their stress until they do. 

Gamcare have amazing advisers that listening non judgementally, I can say they were fab for me.

You can Speak to an Adviser for free: call 0808 8020 133, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Additionally , Chatroom tonight at 7pm where we will be online for Friends and families join to support each other.  your be very welcome.

Patsy

Posted : 11th April 2024 1:57 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close