[Sticky] Want to DO Something? --> READ THIS!

86 Posts
44 Users
0 Likes
36.9 K Views
(@bryan)

Evening all . Hi mixer hi moving forward . Moving forward just reading back your words about not taking hundreds of pounds and going into the bookies . Try and see that it’s like an alcoholic that decides to drink cider instead of vodka . Just be careful as our addiction can take over and make us do irrational things . As mixer said the blocks are important so for your own peace of mind (and ours!) it could be a good idea to exclude yourself from these establishments that you can just walk into . I know it’s not your normal gambling outlet but I don’t think it will do you any harm to bar yourself .

Posted : 23rd March 2018 12:01 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

You're right, Bryan; our addiction is always waiting in the wings, ready to pounce. It knows when we've got a few bob spare. We've always got to be on our guard! I'm 225 days GF and I thought I'd find it easy, but it's still as tough as ever.

Hence why, as you've advised to Moving Forward, blocks are essential. Self exclusion on and off-line is an absolute minimum if we are unable, for whatever reason, to relinguish financial control.

We know what we're like!

All the best to you, Bryan,

Mixer

Posted : 26th March 2018 4:40 pm
(@gamhelp)

Hi Mixer,

Brilliant post with lots of great information, thank you.

Have a look at my profile, some useful info there also, especially http://www.gamcare.org.uk/forum/25-years-one-day-time

You might also be interested to know that this week I'm starting a new online community for problem gamblers and their families? - would be terrific to have your input over there as well as here.

thanks
Mike

Posted : 26th March 2018 5:56 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the kind comments. Likewise, your link has provided really useful advice; no question!

I've read your Gamcare posts, website and blog with interest; it's always intriguing and positive to see, on the face of it, new resources that are created to help us all with this insidious condition that we all have the misfortune to share.

However, digging a little deeper,I need to understand your full intentions before considering partipation in any venture. I need to understand your underlying motivation.

You've created a website that is 'cunningly' named not too differently from this very site - the prefix of 'gam' and suffix of '.org' are identical, just the word 'help' in between.

You've stated your site is privately funded; that implies an investment for which you may want a return. I'm all for enterprise, but need to understand the full picture which isn't made entirely clear.

I assume that, like any new website, you're trying to get that all-important footfall and initial interest by showcasing it on sites like this.

Then you'll want to sign people up to gain that momentum. This means providing you with data which you've said you'll keep secure. I don't agree that having a username of first name / first initial of surname is safe or secure; it still leaves that person extremely identifiable if that data were to get into the wrong hands. In my view, usernames must always be completely anonymous. As a victim of identity fraud myself (of late), I really do know what I'm talking about.

I assume that when you have signed a sufficient number of people up, you may intend to provide additional 3rd party services that you haven't yet mentioned, for example private counselling services that will, of course, be charged. And other services, perhaps.

As I've said, I'm all for enterprise and business, but need to fully understand your full intentions before diving into anything like this and I would personally advise others to exercise *extreme caution* before participating in new, unknown ventures such as this until the full intent is understood and proven to be the case.

It may be the case that your intentions are entirely altruistic - but it would be good to know!

I hope I'm setting the right tone with my message to you... you seem all right to me, but I'm of that age and experience that I'm naturally very cautious these days!

All the best,

Mixer

Posted : 27th March 2018 8:19 am
Christer1
(@christer1)

Here here we'll said mixer

Posted : 28th March 2018 12:45 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Thanks, Christer. My considered view is that we stick to the assurance and familiarity of Gamcare. We live in cynical times and must always be on our guard, I'm afraid.

Posted : 29th March 2018 6:37 pm
(@Anonymous)

nice

Posted : 12th April 2018 12:08 pm
(@Anonymous)

first day actually it's the first 3 hours
it's doing my head in I am behind with everything I promised myself no punting for you today my lad leave money on car
go watch horses in bookies
bit to no avail money done in really getting scary now how much I have done in this past 2 weeks could have went 5 star holiday
but 3 hours on and counting

Posted : 19th April 2018 7:10 pm
(@Anonymous)

first day actually it's the first 3 hours
it's doing my head in I am behind with everything I promised myself no punting for you today my lad leave money on car
go watch horses in bookies
bit to no avail money done in really getting scary now how much I have done in this past 2 weeks could have went 5 star holiday
but 3 hours on and counting

Posted : 19th April 2018 7:14 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Mr Magoo - keep strong; remember - today's the day that matters. Let's make it gambling free; stick to that once a day and watch your life slowly transform for the better 🙂

Posted : 25th April 2018 8:36 pm
(@Anonymous)

Day One and this is the first post I read - Thanks Mixer for a great post. Today I have chosen not to gamble. Tomorrow I intend to keep the same focus. Shed loads of debt to deal with and a flipping hard habit to break. But .....I CAN DO IT! I have taken the first step and admitted the problem to myself - now I need to make the changes.

Posted : 25th April 2018 10:20 pm
Christer1
(@christer1)

Annabelle1967 wrote:

Day One and this is the first post I read - Thanks Mixer for a great post. Today I have chosen not to gamble. Tomorrow I intend to keep the same focus. Shed loads of debt to deal with and a flipping hard habit to break. But .....I CAN DO IT! I have taken the first step and admitted the problem to myself - now I need to make the changes.

Posted : 26th April 2018 12:11 am
Christer1
(@christer1)

Good luck annabelle remember to put ur blocks in first

Posted : 26th April 2018 12:12 am
(@Anonymous)

Can anyone see my post?

Posted : 26th April 2018 10:31 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Yup, it's been seen irish_1! Hope all's well with you.

Posted : 26th April 2018 9:43 pm
Page 3 / 6

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close