2021 is the year for a new me !

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@newbeginnings2021)
Topic starter

Hey everyone,

Bit of background : I was brought up in pubs as my family owned them and also we would goto the caravan. When I look back this is probably the start of my issues as I was always around and playing machines.

I had a normal childhood and teenage years no gambling apart from odd arcade machine but I was budgeted from parents.

Pregnant at 20 and couldn’t go out so started going to bingo and that’s when it all began! 21 single parent working part time with a gambling addiction! 

fast forward 10 years and my addiction hit an all time low when in one month I gambled £50k ! 

I went to uni and made something of myself got a degree and now have my own business which is very successful but I had to tell my partner how bad my gambling got and owned up to the £50k . He understood and we put things in place to stop me ie gam stop etc but to be honest there so many other ways to gamble even after GameStop which Iv found everyone of ! Even trading stocks ! 

I’m 4 months pregnant and we have a great life I run my own business have my 10 year old my fiancé and we have nice things like good cars a nice house but we have £60k in savings and we did have £110 but I blew that £50k.

I need to stop NOW! I had a game care advisor meeting every week and making the right steps toward stopping this crazy gambling however had a relapse and Iv just decided enough is enough ! 

I want to live a good life and I’m only 31 I don’t want gambling to be a part of it anymore and I want my kids and family to have a nice life and I don’t need to worry if gambling will creep back in ! 

this is day 1 of my diary and I hope I can get some words of wisdom for anyone who has been gamble free! 

only think I struggle with is I feel it’s impossible to be totally gamble free ie child comes home with a football card / my gran asks me to do her lotto / raffles at events etc aslong as I can be gamble free in a destructive slots etc way then I would be very happy in life! 

how do people cope with the above which class as gambling also ? 

Posted : 21st March 2021 6:27 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Welcome to the diaries Newbeginnings.

You are obviously a hard working, intelligent lady with a loving family. It is heartbreaking to think of you gifting your hard earned money to betting companies. 

A problem experienced by many compulsive gamblers in recovery is letting go of the past and accepting that monies lost are gone forever. It is a bitter pill to swallow but it has to be done.

You are still a young woman with a loving family and your whole life lies ahead of you. 

I sincerely wish you every success in ridding your life of gambling. 

Aum. 

Posted : 22nd March 2021 12:10 am
(@newbeginnings2021)
Topic starter

Hi Aum,

thanks so much for the kind words ! Yeah what’s done is done in lucky to still have a family and stable life after the chaos of gambling and I am very grateful.  

I am going to keep on this forum as long as possibly needed to ensure my recovery is long standing as my days with gambling are over and I don’t want to be that person anymore

hope you are well

Posted : 23rd March 2021 1:09 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close