Road to Recovery

20 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

So after trying various paths to recovery by hypnotherapy - Face to face counselling - GA.

I feel a diary to look back on and update should help bolster my intention to stop along with staying active on the chat room.

It's been around 10 years since I started and after losing and reclaiming my bank card and monies - Now is the time to prove to myself and family I can do this and be trusted.

Last gambled 12/06/2017

Posted : 13th June 2017 2:14 pm
Magsy
(@magsy)

Good luck 🙂

Posted : 13th June 2017 8:16 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi everyone I'm Jenna I have a major gambling problem I'm 30 year old and have been gambling since I was 18 I have come to the point in my life where my husband hates me and have three kids who rely on me and I have spent about 10 thousand this year so far what I could of done with that I could cry I'm trying to beet this awful addiction and need help from people if that's ok my husband wants me off the joint bank account does anyone think this is a good idea? I don't know what to do I am waiting for a council appointment to come through and hopefully this will help I don't want to lose everything xx

Posted : 14th June 2017 9:04 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Not going too bad so far - real boring at work currently and this is where I usually get the ignition to go gamble but have managed to keep it under wraps with the small amount of money I do carry. I'm going to be making changes in my career very shortly and follow my heart on what I want to be doing to relieve all these depressing/boring times my current job presents me.

Posted : 15th June 2017 10:18 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Well asked for £30 needed for food and diesel today st work. Bought the food and spinned the rest of the cash about £20... not much feeling involved just auto pilot went in and did it. Did a bit of change yesterday. Back to square one and starting again for the 100ty time

Posted : 18th June 2017 1:55 pm
(@sars27)

Keep your head up high paul ! Don't let it beat you ! I'm currently fighting the devil himself ! Keep us updated .

Posted : 18th June 2017 3:02 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Not doing too bad - had a day off and no cash but kept busy today especially with the weather. Got some cash to go play golf tomorrow so I will end up going and not betting it away. Becoming more involved with work and seeing a better side to it and trying to learn more about the skills needed for the job. Plans to make it to the end of this week gamble free.

Last gambled 18 June 2017

Posted : 19th June 2017 5:44 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Last day off. Had money for golf and a haircut. £10 left over and with ascot being on today was tempted to just put a bit on but never bothered. Keeping busy and hitting the gym soon.

Last gambled 18 June 2017

Posted : 20th June 2017 4:35 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Tempted today though it being ascot. Put £1.50 each way on a treble and put £10 in the machine aswell on slots, lost and still managed to keep £20 of my own money. Will be back on chat tonight as I need to keep speaking with like minded people

Posted : 21st June 2017 2:10 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Absolute massive urge today. £10 in pocket and walked upto the door, stared through for a moment and usually that's when auto pilot kicks in and I'm in there but something changed and I stopped for a few seconds and walked away. Happy with that but obviously the urge is always going to be there

Posted : 22nd June 2017 10:21 pm
(@Anonymous)

Well done Paul you managed to stop yourself. It will be hard at first to break the autopilot/habit but once you get into a routine of breaking it, it'll become a new habit for you not to follow through on your urges. It's hard at first but once you prove to yourself you can do it you just repeat the process you used to decide against placing bets.

Keep it up pal!

Conradnose

Posted : 23rd June 2017 6:16 am
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Well payday today and thought why not? £70 gone.... kinda gutted but knew I was going into it to do that anyway. See if I can get through this month now. Resisting the urge/autopilot mode is the key it's just breaking that cycle

Posted : 23rd June 2017 4:22 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Drunk at the weekend and after losing money on the slots I got into a bit of an altercation and police were involved. Really unhappy with myself and how I acted. Luckily nothing was too serious and now I have to committ to make a change as this was a wake up call. now self banning from bookmakers in my local and working area and re-arranging counselling ... See how this goes down. Last gambled 25 June 2017

Posted : 26th June 2017 4:47 pm
Lightsout
(@lightsout)

I'm sorry it's been difficult Paul, but perhaps you needed that sharp shock. I imagine most of us have had one of some sort. Banning is a great idea, and should help keep you safe until the urges reduce. Wishing you all the best with counselling also, self-knowledge is invaluable!

Posted : 26th June 2017 5:15 pm
Paul258
(@paul258)
Topic starter

Thanks a lot - just done the self ban now and was so easy over the phone and only took 15 minutes just need to send in photos and that's it. Will be contacting NECA tomorrow who co can arrange further counselling for me

Posted : 26th June 2017 5:53 pm
Page 1 / 2

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close