New to the forum!

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Minnie1
(@minnie1)
Topic starter

Hi folks,

I am new to the forum. Hoping to gain some support and advice from those in a similar situation to myself.

Absolutely gutted that I have found myself here if I'm honest!
Have so much anger inside me it is untrue.

Anyway it is looking like I will be ending my relationship. I've tried to support my partner but he refuses to talk about it, he's not kept up his counselling (says it's due to his job and getting time off) he's not handed me control of the finances and I just don't think I can do any more. I am miserable, crying myself to sleep most nights because I'm scared for the future. We have a little one and I'm gutted his dad has got himself into this mess.
I own my property (my partner came to live with me) and I kept my finances separate (thank goodness) but i'm worried that if I ask him to leave he is going to be entitled to half of my savings etc
Does anyone know if this would be the case? I know it's complicated and I will seek advice from a solicitor but just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation?

Thanks

Posted : 12th March 2019 9:45 pm
Merry go round
(@merry-go-round)

Hi Minnie I don't know for sure but I doubt it. A solicitor is your best answer. Unfortunately when a gambler doesn't want to stop there is no way to make them see sense. As you said thank god you kept everything separate. You can get help and support at a gamanon meeting.

Posted : 12th March 2019 9:54 pm
Minnie1
(@minnie1)
Topic starter

It is so hard I've come to realise I do not know this man I have spent the last 8 years with.
He tells lies about everything which I realise is the norm. I don't think I will be able to trust another man again. I'm carrying a lot of guilt for our boy even though it is not my fault we are in this situation.
What are the gamanon meetings like? I feel like I do need to talk to someone but I'm not confident in groups

Posted : 12th March 2019 10:21 pm
(@Anonymous)

Try GamAnon. Everyone in the room is there for the same reason and it gives a powerful sense of identity when someone else talks about their experience and it sounds like they are describing yours. The members of the group all get it. But it’s more than tea and tissues, it’s a Twelve Step program where we all help ourselves to do things differently and lead better lives. “We” can achieve what “I” can’t.

CW

Posted : 13th March 2019 8:06 am
Merry go round
(@merry-go-round)

You don't have to speak if you don't want to. You might hear something you relate to. It's never huge, I've been to a meeting and there's just 2 of us, maximum maybe 14. You might feel a great sense of relief that you can offload freely. What have you got to lose?

Posted : 13th March 2019 8:56 am
Minnie1
(@minnie1)
Topic starter

Thank you cynical wife & merry go round for your replies.
I will look into it and see if there are any in my area.

Posted : 13th March 2019 10:47 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close