Haven’t had a bet in 2024.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@r4ac7hgfnl)
Topic starter

Starting this thread with a little story about my gambling and future goals. 

64 days ago today, New Year’s Day I made the choice to stop gambling. I’ve said this before and ultimately failed hence why I’m back now, but this time feels different to every time in the past. I won’t say it’s been easy, I’ve walked past betting shops numerous times thinking about going in, but fortunately walking past. I’ve started to love sport again, especially watching my own teams which I honestly used to struggle with without a bet. There’s not a huge amount to post yet as I’m only 64 days in, but for someone who has bet almost every day for 10 years with only a few months off, it’s an achievement. Starting to see my bank account grow and my debts get smaller, buying new clothes monthly and treating my girlfriend to meals out on a weekly basis. My mind is clear now, I didn’t know what I wanted with my life when gambling, now I do. We are only here once, I want to see the world, USA, Australia and the rest of Europe. Would I rather spend £100s a week chasing one high which will ultimately end in failure, or save to make my like a memorable one. My mindset has changed, not saying I’m free from addiction at all, this is just the start, but I feel amazing. The differences you can see from just stopping for 2 months, 1 day at a time. Life is so much better and this is just the start. Starting my life at 29. Wasted so much time but determined to make the rest of it the best life I can possibly have. 

Remember, 1 day at a time. Don’t chase the big win before stopping. Take control now. Roll on USA 2025. 🙏❤️

Posted : 5th March 2024 10:02 am
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Davidc1995,

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing a motivational post. You are doing so well but you also acknowledge it is early days. Great to hear all the positives so far.

Keep going!

Best Wishes,

Fiona 

Forum Admin

Posted : 6th March 2024 2:57 am
 Rob
(@gb8haze0mr)

Hi David, 

Your comments around loving watching sport again really hits home with me (apart from my team loses 😂). I’m current 27 days bet free and life is starting to slowly come back into focus. Getting those moments in the day when I grin to myself and laugh inside as I am feeling happy / safe and proud of myself . Keep posting we all need support , stay strong and smile 

Posted : 6th March 2024 10:49 pm
(@zmplv5obcr)

Congratulations! 64 days is no small feat, but don't let your guard down. One of my favourite gambling quotes is "just because the monkey is off your back, it doesn't mean the circus left town". 

I'm talking from my own experience and a life which a good portion of was spent in the grips of gambling addiction. I'll write more in the days to come. Unless I lapse, then I won't. 

Posted : 7th March 2024 7:58 pm
(@r4ac7hgfnl)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the messages and advice. I’ll keep you all updated on this thread how I get on. 70 days today! Feeling good, have a great day everyone! 

David. 

Posted : 11th March 2024 8:57 am
(@r4ac7hgfnl)
Topic starter

81 days today… taking it one day at a time, another weekend to avoid gambling.. 

Posted : 22nd March 2024 8:27 am
(@j5a6meyr4z)

A lovely post.  Keep going towards those goals!

Pink Lady. 🍎

Posted : 6th April 2024 1:00 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close