226 days GF

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kaym07)
Topic starter

I haven’t posted for a while as I’ve been keeping my self busy.
quick story update ,

I struggled with a gambling problem for a couple of years and ended up getting myself in a lot of debt and wasting so much money. I ended up with about 5 different loans and all because of gambling. 
I wanted to give up and my life just felt c**P, I was losing everyone, my family, friends and my partner. 

I am so thankful for all the support from gamcare, Julie who I spoke to on a weekly basis , my family and my partner for pushing me to get help. It was the best thing to happen and I’m so glad. 

I was so scared when the sessions were ending with Julie as I believed I would end up relapsing and starting from day 1 again. I still have the self exclusions on and have now changed this to 6 years. 
don’t get me wrong, I’ve had urges when I’ve had a down day but thanks to the self exclusions I realised straight away what I was doing and stopped. 

Still going strong and it wouldn’t have been for all the support and help! 
So thank you to every single person on here and to gamcare. 

My life has changed for the better. 

Posted : 28th June 2021 10:00 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Dear Kaym07,

Thanks for taking the time to update us all on how well you have been getting on. Glad to see you are in a much better place and still going strong.

It sounds like having the weekly support and having the self exclusions in place have been a positive aid in your recovery journey. Fundamentally, all the hard work and commitment has come from you. Keep it up!

I'm sure your post will offer motivation and encouragement to whoever reads this.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. 

Wishing you all the best,

Forum Admin

Vanessa

Posted : 29th June 2021 11:24 am
(@lynett50)

Thank you for your post.

I'm on day 3 so this is really encouraging. 

Posted : 29th June 2021 2:22 pm
(@forest2109)

Kaym07 if you can tell me what steps you took to overcome gambling i would appreciate it 

Posted : 29th June 2021 8:03 pm
(@kaym07)
Topic starter

Posted by: Forest2109

Kaym07 if you can tell me what steps you took to overcome gambling i would appreciate it 

Hi Forest, 

I put Gamstop and Gamban on all my devices that I use, I had weekly sessions with a woman which really helped and I joined in on the chats daily with other people. 
It was hard first couple of weeks but I found it very supportive and having the self exclusions really does help. 
it got easier at around a month and it felt so good as I got my mind set in it. I kept myself busy by doing other things like reading, exercising and kept telling myself i could do this 

Posted : 29th June 2021 9:58 pm
(@kaym07)
Topic starter

Hi Lynette ,

thank you for commenting, 

I wish you all the best of luck in your recovery, 

it will be hard but anything and everything is possible. I didn’t believe I could do it but I did and still going strong, having self exclusions in place and talking to people really does help. 
good luck and keep up the good work?

Posted : 29th June 2021 10:00 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close