Final Chance

291 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
18 K Views
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

So been waiting all day for the call back i was expecting from the councilling people who i contacted on Sunday,but it never came will have to get on with them again tomorrow to find out if there is anything available in my area (i live in the sticks).......tommorow will be day 3 for me and it will be GF i am certain of that, feel more determind than i have ever felt to succeed this time but also know i have to not get to far ahead of myself.... thiis time i feel up for the fight.

Posted : 29th August 2017 9:16 pm
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

1. Block using K9 for free on EVERY device

2.Cut up cards and freeze them without their CCV

3. Get rid of PayPal, net teller, your wallet!

4. Phone banks and credit card companies and get tell them! They will block gambling transactions from then on as responsible lenders. If they don't, threaten to report them, and they will.

5. Really this should be number one, tell a loved one, tell them your intentions but hold up your side of the bargain and HONOUR that commitment

6. Get good a knitting, baking, writing stories, keep a blog, visit forums, take up a musical instrument, get good a couponing but also realise that there are better pursuits than gambling. Spend your time sitting down for tea with your kid and partner. Turn off the phone and iPad that already has K9 installed and savour this wonderful thing we call life!

7. Stop kidding yourself! Gambling wants to kill you. The leaders of the gambling industry say they want you to have controlled fun but they want your money!

8. Self exclude from ALL websites and bookies! Use pictures and have no shame as you are getting better! Should have been higher!

Forgive yourself, we all make

mistakes, just learn from them! Do it, do it now!.

Found this on another thread think it is great advice for people on here that there problem is with gambling online

Posted : 30th August 2017 11:21 am
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Evening Diary.....Day 3 almost done again no thoughts of gambling, knowing blocking software is in place and debit card now with my partner is a big plus for me as in the past i always left some doors open.Guilt at the money lost and the hurt i have caused my family (my children no nothing about my gambling problem) is still there and i suspect will be for quite some time.I now realise in the past a wanted to stop losing, this time is different i want to stop gambling......

Posted : 30th August 2017 8:13 pm
(@mixer)

Chartom3 - you're putting into place solid blcokers to help restrict your gambling ... good, good ... now it's time to reinvigorate your approach to this. What's different this time; how about the feeling you can really be free of this? You know it's no good. You have a choice. Just look at gambling and think: I'm free of this and ain't doin' it no more. Look at it, and the devil on your shoulder, with contempt. And when that devil whines and moans that he wants a gamble, flick him off. He'll tire, lose interest in tempting you ... and, in time, you'll lose interest in it too.

Posted : 30th August 2017 8:58 pm
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

My son starts his new school today just seen him off and am feeling a bit emotional to be honest, i love both my children to bits thinking of the amount of money i have lost these last 5 years and the things they have missed out on because of my actions really does make me feel angry and guilty, i dont want them to have a dad who is a compulsive gambler and am more determind than ever this time, they deserve better..... Day 4 and today i will not gamble.

Posted : 31st August 2017 9:09 am
(@mixer)

I have a young son, too, Chartom, who's starting school next week.

I'm looking at him, like you are with your children, and thinking: he doesn't deserve this.

So let's both take our head out the sand this time and go the extra mile to deal with this. It's about changing our mindset, realising we have a choice; otherwise, pure and simple, if we don't go all out to try, we are being selfish. Some may disagree, but it comes down to this in my opinion.

Remember, we have the freedom to choose not to gamble. You've pinpointed two excellent reasons why - I'm sure you can think of more.

Keep posting regularly as you are Chartom - helps top up the inner resolve I know you have.

Posted : 31st August 2017 9:50 am
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Mixer wrote:

I have a young son, too, Chartom, who's starting school next week.

I'm looking at him, like you are with your children, and thinking: he doesn't deserve this.

So let's both take our head out the sand this time and go the extra mile to deal with this. It's about changing our mindset, realising we have a choice; otherwise, pure and simple, if we don't go all out to try, we are being selfish. Some may disagree, but it comes down to this in my opinion.

Remember, we have the freedom to choose not to gamble. You've pinpointed two excellent reasons why - I'm sure you can think of more.

Keep posting regularly as you are Chartom - helps top up the inner resolve I know you have.

Thanks for the continued support Mixer really does mean alot to me, things do feel different this time as if the penny has finally dropped but at the same time i know its very much still early days for me, know for a fact a couldnt do this without the help & encouragement from people on here like yourself .

Posted : 31st August 2017 11:59 am
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Evening Diary....... So the councilling people eventually got back to me today and unfoutunatly there is none availlable in my area, they have put me on a waiting list with the possibilty of doing on skype or over the phone, will just have to wait and see what comes of it....... glad to say im still gf with no thoughts of gambling at all just of guilt and regret at the position i have put us in again, hope that these will ease a little as i continue to try to put things right.

Posted : 31st August 2017 7:54 pm
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Morning Diary....... Day 5 today gf.....feeling quite down at the minute finding it hard to forget about money lost and keep thinking about how short i have left us with a holiday coming up at halloween and Christmas straight after.No urges to gamble which is good but cant stop beating myself up at what i have done, need to try and move on and forget about the past..... just having a bad day i suppose need to ride it out and there will be better ones ahead as long as i am gf

Posted : 1st September 2017 8:05 am
(@Anonymous)

Afternoon Chartom :)).

I'm sure you do feel down as it's all still quite Raw at the moment mate , What you have to focus on now is how much worse you'll feel if you gamble again ? .

What's the best case scenario ? . You could go and have a bet and there might be a possibility that you'll end the day a few quid up but for a start it's not going to be " Life changing money " that could in on swipe clear your debt and even if you did win big then would you stop there or carry on doing what youve alway's done and chase the buzz again ? you know any money won would just take you right back to the start with the cycle of Win, Lose , gamble starting all over again ! .

It's not easy turning your back on it but as I've said before you really do have to close your mind to the losses and let them go ., what's the alternative go back to doing what brought you here ? " Nothing changes if nothing changes " Buddy ! .

Keep pushing on and it will ease :))

Posted : 1st September 2017 1:43 pm
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Thanks Alan for your continued support and advice, wise words as always, it does help.

Evening Diary..........My mood has improved greatly from this morning,feeling alot more positive about things, money lost is still eating away at me but cant let that drag me down,even though i am its only day 6 for me tomorrow i am feeling alot of benefits already spending quality time with my children,doing more housework,getting more exercise to name a few.Still very much early days i know and there be plenty of ups and downs to come

Posted : 1st September 2017 9:22 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Thankyou Chartom for your support and also for taking the time to read my diary .

It's good you admit to being a compulsive gambler who wants to stop gambling . You have blocked access to gambling websites . You have handed over the bank card to your partner . You make regular posts in your diary and interact positively with GamCare friends . You may have counselling over the phone which could help .

Seems to me you have done all you can , that in itself takes a lot of courage .

My heart really goes out to you , it can be so difficult to let go . The thought of never gambling again can sometimes fill us with dread , at times like that we just have to concentrate on getting through the day . Wishing you every success in your recovery .....stephen

Posted : 1st September 2017 10:06 pm
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Morning Diary........ Day 6 for me today,every day seems like a rollercoaster right now for me one minute feeling ok next minute not so good but the main thing is i am still gamble free. The sun is shining which always helps so will try and keep myself busy and keep my mind occupied on other things......hoping everyone has a nice gf weekend.

Posted : 2nd September 2017 8:31 am
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Morning Diary...... ....Day 7 today for me today and one week since i lost yet another crazy amount of money ( which i couldnt afford to loose ) online betting.Sundays were usually a big gambling day for me as i am home alone all day but not today plan is to find some films or tv series to watch and try to get the dog out for a long walk (weather is terrible at the minute).Head is still a bit all over the place at the minute and money (lack of) is a worry but know how much worse it would be if i chased , just have to see out the bad days and there will be better days ahead. Wishing everyone a happy GF Sunday......

Posted : 3rd September 2017 10:14 am
chartom3
(@chartom3)
Topic starter

Evening Diary.......Day 7 almost over done and still gf....... this time last week i had just lost another crazy large sum of my hard earned money which i could ill afford to loose, one week on and am determind to make that my last ever donation to bookmakers. Know things are going to be hard for the foreseeable furture but feel better equipped this time than i have been in the past, Still feel quite low most days but know things will improve the longer i can stay gf

Posted : 3rd September 2017 8:04 pm
Page 2 / 20

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close