My diary

49 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Today I made a decision to never gamble again. I thought I was in control and was only betting to make extra money. Now I am £2000 overdrawn and do not dare tell my husband. From now on I will budget, and stop spending on slots and I hope within 6-8 months I can get out of this debt.

Posted : 11th November 2018 12:57 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi Becky well done for making that decision. Have u put some blocks in place. Many on here have had that thought before myself included and then found ourselves back doing it again. I would really recommend self exclusion. I am now two weeks gamble free and it’s such a good feeling but I have needed support from friends and family so have told people. I see you don’t want to tell your husband. I was in the same position for fear he would leave me. I racked up about £37k worth of debt but I confessed to him 2 weeks ago and whilst he was angry and disappointed he has been really supportive. I would recommend telling someone so u don’t have to go through this alone, especially if you are really wanting to stop. Good luck with it all x

Posted : 11th November 2018 2:22 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

I have put an app on my phone which blocks the websites. Currently struggling with the gamblock exclusion as I recently got married so it does not recognise my name and I need to send some id in. Does it get easier? Today's been a bit of a struggle actually. I'll try to manage alone for now, but I've promised myself if I bet one more time I'll tell my husband.

Posted : 11th November 2018 10:15 pm
(@Anonymous)

hi there i am also a female, 35 years. have lost all my savings i have had for over 10 years due to this evil curse of gambling. After vowing to stop and then relapsing, i lost even more money and today registered with gamstop. so i can not use any gambling sites etc for at least 5 years. i would recommend sending in the id that shows you have changed your name as it will be very tempting to start gambling if you are aware that you can do so. and once you do then the vicious cycle starts again. i am hoping that i will start to feel better soon now that i am registered with gamstop. Being overdrawn and thinking of the money which i have lost (more than a years salary for most people) is a horrid feeling. at the moment it doesnt feel like it will get better but i so hope it does. good luck

Posted : 11th November 2018 10:28 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Thanks for the message. I have started the application to get blocked, just finding the relevant id a struggle as some is in my old name and some in my new.. I will get it sorted.. Good luck to you also

Posted : 26th November 2018 10:33 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Going to bed on day 9. Made it through the evening alone without gambling. Here is to day 10! I decided to work out how much I've actually lost in the last 15 months. I deposited over ВЈ5000 (1/4 of my annual income!! ) . I am sick to my stomach. Thankfully I withdraw some so I am down around ВЈ2000. That's approx ВЈ115 a month. I can get over that. Some people spend that on a night out each month. It's no excuse for what I've done, but I need to be able to live with what I've done and that's the only way I can. I can only learn from my mistakes now. I want to continue gamble free and start 2019 that way. I want it to be a distant past, not part of my present. I have around £2500 worth of debt, mostly to do with gambling, so each pay day is a reminder of what I've done. Onwards and upwards

Posted : 29th November 2018 11:33 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

12 days. Found it difficult being in the pub today cause of the slots. But managed to avoid it. Slowly getting easier

Posted : 2nd December 2018 5:15 pm
Jappy
(@jappy)

Well done Becky it’s always difficult when you can see them! I have read Alan Carr book and this helps me by thinking I am not missing something but being lucky to stop harming myself! It does work, i was open minded when I read the book and underneath I do feel now i am not missing something but rather stopping killing myself! Stay safe and gf

Posted : 2nd December 2018 10:56 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Thank you. Yeah I plan to get this book also. Good luck to you!

Posted : 3rd December 2018 11:01 am
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Finally been verified on gamstop. So now even if I want to I can't gamble. Thank god

Posted : 3rd December 2018 1:12 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Day 14. Can't believe I've gone 2 weeks without gambling. Feeling great. Can't wait to start 2019, gamble free

Posted : 4th December 2018 10:26 pm
Vin47
(@vin47)

Well done becky

Posted : 4th December 2018 11:03 pm
Jappy
(@jappy)

Well done BeckyB keep it up day at a time - enjoy your release from the pain and strain!

Posted : 5th December 2018 8:27 pm
beckyb88
(@beckyb88)
Topic starter

Day 16. Soon be 20. Had a lot of money worries recently. We have had to pay a ton of money out to move. Still staying clear of gambling, not worth it. I'll be out of my debt one day and hopefully all this will just be a distant memory

Posted : 6th December 2018 8:22 pm
(@Anonymous)

Keep your guard up Becky

You’re doing well. You can do this

Posted : 10th December 2018 12:14 pm
Page 1 / 4

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close