New me

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Conman
(@conman)
Topic starter

Hi all,

I’ve spent a lot of time reading this forum and thinking about making a diary.

I’m a 21year old student currently in 4th year at uni and I am currently 2k in debt due to gambling. A sad admission to make, but one I must make regardless.

My main issue is horse racing. I tell myself I’m clued up and I know enough to be able to make a profit. How stupid am I?

I’m signed up to GamStop for 5 years. I’m serious about quitting this time.

It’s now 00.40 so I’m currently on day 2 GF. The days currently feel long and painful. But I know it will get easier.

I started a credit union account today. £10 a week deposit as a “tangeable” reward for a GF week. That’s the thinking.

Any words of advice/encouragement are deeply appreciated.

One day at a time.

Posted : 17th November 2018 1:46 am
Merry go round
(@merry-go-round)

Hi I'm the wife of a compulsive gambler. I think that gambling is playing a huge part of young people's lives. It's not surprising that some find themselves addicted and in financial difficulty. My advice would be to tell someone however hard that is. My husband gambled for 30 years, always thinking it wasn't a problem. It caused a lot of debt, mental health problems, isolation, relationship problems. If you can, get someone to look after your finances. Don't be ashamed, that will stop you getting help. Find a GA meeting.

Posted : 17th November 2018 10:07 am
Conman
(@conman)
Topic starter

Day 3 GF done and dusted. Been working all weekend so been kept busy. Exams in 3 weeks so plan on focusing on that to keep my mind occupied. Just need to stick at it.

Posted : 19th November 2018 12:08 am
Conman
(@conman)
Topic starter

Merry go round wrote:

Hi I'm the wife of a compulsive gambler. I think that gambling is playing a huge part of young people's lives. It's not surprising that some find themselves addicted and in financial difficulty. My advice would be to tell someone however hard that is. My husband gambled for 30 years, always thinking it wasn't a problem. It caused a lot of debt, mental health problems, isolation, relationship problems. If you can, get someone to look after your finances. Don't be ashamed, that will stop you getting help. Find a GA meeting.

Hi merry go round, appreciate your thoughts.

Posted : 19th November 2018 12:22 am
Conman
(@conman)
Topic starter

Day 4 all but done. Another day cleaning up a tiny bit of the mess

Posted : 19th November 2018 9:38 pm
cardhue
(@cardhue)

Conman wrote:

[quote=Merry go round]

Sorry Conman. Not gona let you get away with that. What is your actual response to MGR’s points?

Louis

Posted : 20th November 2018 11:32 am
Conman
(@conman)
Topic starter

cardhue wrote:

[quote=Conman]

[quote=Merry go round]

Sorry Conman. Not gona let you get away with that. What is your actual response to MGR’s points?

Louis

My response is that my girlfriend is fully away of my struggles with gambling. She is an amazing supportive person and someone I always want an honest, open relationship. My finances are no secret to her.

I totally agree about the point about young gamblers. 2 of my close friends are also compulsive gamblers, and I would say 9/10 of my wider friend group gamble regularly. It’s okay for them as they are able to control it. However, I think the bookies pray on the younger generation. As an example, there is a bookies slap bang in the centre of my campus at Uni. Spent many hours and days in there myself. Surely there should be restrictions against things like this.

Apologies if my initial response seemed hollow, I was short of time when checking the forum.

Posted : 20th November 2018 4:05 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close