Hello

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hello..my name is Amy, 37, and I have come here after realising I have a problem with gambling on online slot machines. I started off playing bingo about 10 years ago..I had a couple of big wins the first few goes I had and was hooked after that but gradually got into slots and that is where the problem really started. I am a stay at home Mum (partner works full time) and I used to drop the kids off at school and literally lie on my bed playing slots for 6 hours a day as well as playing any other opportunity I got i.e in the evening, or even on my phone in bed 🙁 I must have lost thousands over the years. My partner of 16 years knows I play (ed) but has no idea the amounts staked/lost as I am in sole charge of the household finances. We now owe 20k on credit cards (not all due to gambling but partly) and are living week to week when he gets paid. I am literally banking on him getting a bonus at Christmas for us to be 'ok' again. I have now registered on Gamstop which I hope means I cant get onto any online slots sites as they are my only gambling addiction..nothing else. I used to love the excitement of the bonus rounds and all the colourful characters and features..it really sucked me in. BUT today I havent been on them and I dont plan to ever again. I hate myself for wasting our family money on these stupid slot machines..we are now skint and cant even afford for my kids to go on school trips (Ive had to borrow money from my Mum). I hate the thought of all the time and money I have wasted online playing these ridiculous games..it makes me feel sick. I could have been out with my kids instead. I cant turn back time and I am determined to quit for good now. I have also got a part time job starting soon so I wont have as much spare time..I often think of the phrase..the devil makes work for idle hands..so true although I am not particularly religious! Any supportive words or advice would be greatly appreciated, I would love to hear from any one else who has fallen foul to the evil that are slot machines in particular. Thanks for reading. Love Amy xx

Posted : 4th September 2018 9:58 pm
Merry go round
(@merry-go-round)

Hi Amy there used to be a YouTube video/docu about slot machines and how they are rigged, the house always wins. The lights and music convince you to continue regardless of whether you win or lose. Designed specifically by mathematicians that in certain turns of the wheel the house takes 10% (or more) until your money's gone. It's great that you are here, seeing the problem and asking for support. The job is also good. If you're struggling financially call stepchange. Try not to take money from family, that's called a bailout which can make you think everything's fine and go back to it. Keep occupied, do all those jobs you've been avoiding, go out for a walk. I would suggest a GA meeting but understand it's a big ask for many women. You would find great support there and learn ways to get your life back on track. This will be tough, it's a hard addiction to beat and the slots are designed to be highly addictive. Call gamcare for help too, they offer free counselling. It is also advisable to be honest with your partner, could he take over finance? Gamstop will help stop you but you need to recover too. There are other forms of software to download to phones etc to help you stop too. Be 100% committed.

Posted : 5th September 2018 7:18 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thank you so much for replying! I have checked and I now cant access any slots sites which is a big relief. I cant tell my partner as he is dealing with his own worries at the moment and it would be pointless really except to make things worse in our relationship. I dont think I will gamble again as it was only slots that interested me and now I have no access to them I wont try any other sort of gambling as it really doesnt interest me. I often got the feeling the slots were rigged to be honest and even the sites themselves..it seems funny that you always seem to be up and win lots when you first join but then over time you become less 'lucky'?! The sites always claim that this isnt the case but there was always a nagging doubt in my mind that it wasnt just 'luck' at all. I wish online betting would be banned in all honesty..it can ruin lives and often does. It is such a shameful secret I find and I havent told anyone else apart from you guys on here! Amy x

Posted : 5th September 2018 12:35 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close