Freedom

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi I've been on here many times over the last 4 years. I have decided to quit gambling (again) and I have finally after 4-6 years of suffering told my wife all. We have a large debt not all but mostly due to my gambling and the only way for me to keep my wife and pay off the debt is to quit gambling, the debt will take years but I said that 2 years ago, that it couldn't get worse and I may aswell try to gamble my way out of it and guess what it got worse. I haven't had a proper binge for a few months. When I told my wife to her credit she said if I had the odd fiver/tenner she wouldn't go mad - her way of not putting to much pressure on me. Of course my addiction loved that so I had a lot of 5 and 10 pound bets. Then realised what I was doing and stopped I have had only two bets in the last 3 weeks and both for small sums and in a controlled manner. I don't want to keep doing that though as this control is tempary and if I'm still placing bets it's just a matter of time before stakes escalate. So I come here to let it out and have a place to vent as and when the urges come. Gamcare is a great place to be around. I must say due to life, work, family etc I don't think I'll be a regular poster, in the past I have always contributed to the site and replied to posts but I must say up front that this may not be the case this time round so I apologise now if I don't reply and I mean no offense and you can believe me when I say I appreciate every comment and piece of advice. I may not share much but I think the people on this site are bloody brilliant and the advice and help you give each other shows just how much selfish gamblers can change to unselfish, giving exgamblers.

Posted : 30th November 2014 12:30 am
(@Anonymous)

Welcome back to the forum ExGambler,

Your story sounds like a very popular scenario regarding the 'gamble your way out of trouble routine'. Been there too a few times and i've had it with gambling. It just sucks the life out of me.

So like you, I decided to return to this site just 5 days ago, and I am already feeling much better. Breaking that cycle of destructive behaviour is key. I'm sure you've heard it all before, but now you're back in the fold.Post as much as you feel you can. It's liberating and great therapy for all.

Keep strong my friend

All the best

Ade

Posted : 30th November 2014 12:40 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close