Going to keep this thread now!

3,771 Posts
146 Users
5 Likes
291.1 K Views
(@freda)
Topic starter

Done some Wim Hof breathing before going to work. I was anxious and it helped.

Posted : 26th March 2020 11:36 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

Hey great stuff on 90 days! 🙂

Hope work went ok?

Posted : 27th March 2020 9:01 am
(@freda)
Topic starter

Was so relieved when the shop door was locked!

Almost everyone was completely lovely. We had some idiots who brought their kids in, kids coughing without covering their mouths. Paid in cash, too. We aren't currently allowed to insist on card only payments, so I've been saying to people "are you able to pay by card today?" One bloke rattily went "no, Im not" and thrust his tenner at me. Yeah, life's hard for you, mate, eh? Everything's personal, flippin shop assistants asking you to be considerate and trying not to die and stuff... Why don't we just leave you alone?

We really should have had masks available by now. When there weren't any yesterday, I made a plan to fib and say I had a fever. I'm all for turning up for the cause but my employer has a responsibility to try and keep us safe. Luckily, the girls were posting on social media today, saying we now have masks. Therefore, I will attend on Sunday. Not much to ask, really.

Listened to an old album from my youth, as I weeded the garden, in the sunshine this afternoon. OK Computer. Was nice.

day 91, 13 weeks clean, today. I am careful with my money, when not in action and as a result, have spent no time worrying about whether my other job is going to pay me. I will wait and see and get straight onto the union if they don't.

Posted : 27th March 2020 9:30 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

I think here in the uk the official advice up to this point is that we don't need to wear masks (except front line NHS workers) because they don't actually give that much protection. But I think this has been the case because there has been a big shortage of masks. At my work we don't wear masks because apparently it will frighten the residents at the project.

However if you look at countries like South Korea whom have managed there outbreak really well and kept deaths really low, you will notice that everyone wears a mask, similar to china. My opinion about masks is starting to change... a bit. I was anti-masks viewing them as over the top and as a result of fear mongering. But common sense suggests that they must give some protection ie if you cough or sneeze it goes into the mask rather than on to or near to the people around you... so wearing a mask protects others... a bit?? having said that, viruses are very small so its hard to see how how a material mask can stop them. But then again, having a mask on may stop you wiping your face or rubbing your eyes cos its a physical barrier and a reminder.

I haven't seen any masks at my work either. personally I wouldn't really want to wear them for long periods of time.

Anyway great stuff on being 13 weeks clean... 🙂 x

This post was modified 4 years ago by S.A

Posted : 28th March 2020 9:04 pm
duncan.mac
(@duncan-mac)

Hi freda

great to see your gamble free total grow it’s great that the outcome takes away the fear factor of most when actively gambling because if like me the outcome of earnings were simply that I had already spent them long before I had been paid.

I hope that with regards to your employer that they will put better measures in place, my wife works in a supermarket and the measures put into place over the past couple of days certainly are an improvement on the lack of things that they had in place previously 

I think that with regards to the masks they would need to be a very specific type to have any great effect on lowering the risk of contamination so other measures are more effective, screens around cash desks and actual correct social distancing.

something we all should be observing.

I believe after watching the headlines this morning that the restrictions will be in place for some time to come

from that please look after yourself 

just for today 

Duncs 

Posted : 29th March 2020 8:46 am
(@freda)
Topic starter

Agreed guys, regarding the masks. The blue paper, surgical ones probably only add minimal protection but I'd rather that, than nothing. Also, many of the customers are really not taking this seriously enough and are still browsing the clothing sections and spending a long time in store. I feel it may give them a bit of a wake-up call. Both members of couples are still visiting the shop and bringing their children!!!! 

Also, last time there was a false alarm about bio-weapons being released, I bought some N94 masks which are apparently 5 x more effective than nothing. If we are now allowed to wear the surgical masks, hopefully I will be able to wear these proper good ones.

It has stood me in good stead, that I've spent large period of time isolated in the past. I am not very distressed about the social distancing, as a result. Silver linings.

Posted : 30th March 2020 10:56 am
SB28
 SB28
(@sb28)

Hi f,

Please do wear that mask....safety is a priority and the more measures you put down, the better protection you will have. 

My hat off to you girl...supermarket staff were impressive not long ago...i found it...myself...i try not to even breathe near people in supermarkets...just hold it..strange but automatic reaction. I also just mumble "hello" back to the cashier if they say hi to me...

Anyways...hope you're keeping well, thanks for checking in.

Much blessings to you, stay safe...try and protect yourself as much as you can

S&B xx

This post was modified 4 years ago by Forum admin

Posted : 30th March 2020 6:25 pm
(@freda)
Topic starter

I went on a first date tonight!

Now, I know what you're thinking - it is forbidden! but... we stayed two metres apart and walked around the park. We had been messaging each other for a while and since this lockdown situation could go on a while, we wanted to meet at least once, briefly and safely, just so we weren't pen friends for months without any idea whether there might be a spark in real life.

It went OK, I would see him again. So now we just need an antibodies test and we're good to go, haha!

Posted : 31st March 2020 9:40 pm
(@freda)
Topic starter

I take social distancing very seriously but as a key worker, I can tell you, the supermarkets are not doing enough. I walk miles to work, rather than get a bus. I have been immaculate in my covid preventing behaviour, that distanced meeting was my only non-essential throughout the whole thing. I walked there, no unnecessary car journey. We are fairly local to each other. I'm not seeing friends or going anywhere I don't absolutely have to.

At the supermarket, though, they still make us take cash if a customer insists on it and refuses to go to a self-scan till, instead. I drew my line in the sand yesterday, when I was told I couldn't refuse money that had been counted by licking their fingers, or had been in their mouth. I said I'm not doing it, you can fire me, but I won't do that.

Companies are still thinking of the tills ringing and could be doing a lot more to prevent the spread of this.

Posted : 4th April 2020 8:38 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

Hiya.. I hear you. 

yes I take social distancing seriously as well. Of course what with my addiction ive been walking miles to work anyway on a semi-regular basis. In some respects not a great deal has changed.

I also notice how busy the traffic "still is" as well. You'd think it would be mostly delivery drivers and lorries and a smattering of cars, but no, I reckon a lot of folk are making unnecessary journeys. The addiction to the car continues.

Take care... S.A

Posted : 6th April 2020 8:08 am
(@freda)
Topic starter

I'm so effing angry!

Need to offload about an exchange I just had on social media. I know it can be toxic and I shouldn't let it get to me but good grief! Someone posted saying "hey, stop judging people when you see them out and about. They may live alone without a garden etc." I posted to say I completely agree, I generally am not judging anyone because I don't know their circumstances BUT as a supermarket worker, if anyone is coming into my shop and putting myself and my colleagues at risk, just for a bottle of lemonade, I do think that is not OK" If you're shopping to feed yourself or your family, I'm happy to sere you but if you just fancied a bottle of pop, tough. She said I was missing the point, he may live alone and just want to go to a shop and feel normal. Can we all just stop judging people please, she said!

I am so sick of putting myself at risk for selfish ignorant people like this and being told that feeling this way is judgemental. IT'S BLOOMING NOT! IT'S NOT WANTING TO DIE JUST BECAUSE I WENT TO WORK!!!!! 

I was looking forward to a day off, not having to deal with these idiots.

Posted : 6th April 2020 12:22 pm
(@freda)
Topic starter

And now this woman is attacking me on other people's posts. There are some nasty people in this world.

I will find the positive in this. I've never liked this woman. I sent her a friend request to be friendly, as she is my friend's wife. Other nice people were friends with her and I thought maybe I'm wrong, I'll give her a chance.

I wasn't wrong. I should have trusted my instincts. A lesson to trust myself more. 

I am working on not needing to justify myself anymore but today I'm tired and stressed and could do without this. So this is not the most emotionally evolved thing to say, one day I will be able to simply say "my judgement is accurate" without quantifying it, but she posts on Facebook boasting about getting drunk in the middle of the day, when she is a parent. She's clearly an alcoholic which I'm not judging her for at all but she is drinking heavily around her children during the day. Not someone I personally feel has any place attacking me. I'm shaking from the confrontation. We are both a little bit wrong in our own ways but wow, I just tried to disengage, she has pursued and tried to pick a fight. 

Posted : 6th April 2020 5:32 pm
(@freda)
Topic starter

Can I just say, I really appreciate Gamcare's common sense and compassion toward me last night. Hopefully it's OK to share that they pointed out that capitals is not allowed but they decided to leave it, as it was clear I was not shouting at a particular person. This is why it didn't occur to me, of course. I'd never talk in capitals to someone on here, can't imagine doing that, anyway. Other than playful o*g and so on. It's fair enough, though.

I feel much better today, although very shaky. I don't get really enraged very often but it seems to be when just basic decency is ignored. I know not everyone thinks like me and they don't have to, but sometimes I really think good grief, what is wrong with you! with some people. 

The theme of judgement has been coming up a lot lately. The flash point of my anger. I think part of being a compassionate person who isn't judgemental, is actually accepting that we are all human and we can't expect saintly behaviour of one another. It's actually judgemental to decide someone is judgemental, which is hilarious when you think about it. Saying it's never OK to judge anyone ever - well, you really wouldn't understand a mother judging someone for drunkenly murdering her child? really? come on! don't pee on my leg and tell me it's rain! I don't think that's reasonable at all. Extreme situations bring out things in people that would never normally be there.

The guy I am chatting to, are we dating? you don't know what to call it when you can't physically see each other! was so wonderful and understanding last night. He just listened to me rant and was very understanding and supportive. He said I can see you're a good person and you only feel rage like this when basic decency is being insulted. It's a big deal for me, that. Someone letting me be human, without judging. He is a key worker too. To be honest, he is in a much more vulnerable position than me. I think for me, it was a build up of weeks worth of frustration and alienation. I have to work really hard to not end up just hating human beings atm. 

I think I might be very tearful today. They are flowing already, writing this. It's a more peaceful, accepting release, than the rage I felt yesterday. It feels a bit like a sanctuary with the members in here. Seems to be sensitive, kind people who end up here. Driven to addiction by the horror of the world we are now living in. 

Please try not to cause avoidable harm, people. Please.

Posted : 7th April 2020 11:41 am
(@freda)
Topic starter

Just realised I'm now on day 102! Well done, me!

Posted : 7th April 2020 3:20 pm
Scottydog71
(@scottydogg)

Well done your in the 100 club 

Posted : 7th April 2020 4:31 pm
Page 222 / 252

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close